Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 12:09:16 AM EDT
Anything out there?  I bought one off a custome maker in Wasilla.  ORdered it up, got it, and was pretty pissed off ever since.  

Anyone make a decent holster?

Stay away from the "Simply Rugged" ones.  I coulda made a better one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to hijack, but I havent heard too much about that revolver from any non gun mag type of source. Is it a good unit? hows the recoil? please share
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
this is an article from guns and ammo from i think february including a review starting on page 2 of the redhawk alaskan
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not to hijack, but I havent heard too much about that revolver from any non gun mag type of source. Is it a good unit? hows the recoil? please share

www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SRHAlaskan454.htm

added: made this big boy look like a woman, I'd say the recoil is impressive......

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Some here at Ruger: www.ruger.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&categoryId=12003&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=11958&lastCatId=11958&faNav=y

What type of use are you wanting the holster for?      surely not CHL.

Mike

Why not CHL?  I know some guys that carry theirs all the time.  Remember, everything is bigger in Alaska.

Mine isn't a true Alaskan, it is a .44 SRH cut down to  the frame.  IT is actually nicer than the Alaskan because instead of the little (read GI .45ish) front sight, I got a huge dayglow millet that one an actually see, and the stock adjustable in the rear.  

I was looking for something along the lines of the www.ruger.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&categoryId=12003&productId=11719&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=11958&lastCatId=11958]Fletch[/url Holster, mostly i hate carrying "floppy" holsters that stuck out too far.

Recoil isn't bad, but it will definately let you know if you are not holding it right.   First trip to the range hurt, but subsequent trips were fine, 200 rounds plus sometimes.  One can learn to properly handle the recoil.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why not CHL?  I know some guys that carry theirs all the time.  Remember, everything is bigger in Alaska.

While this may be okay in Alaska, where folks are few and far between, a full-house Alaskan on a city street in Houston would probably go through the perp and one or two other folks too......

That would not be good.

Given your location though and the size of the bears ya got up there, suspect it'll be quite comforting toting that boat anchor around, (good exercise anyhow).

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While this may be okay in Alaska, where folks are few and far between, a full-house Alaskan on a city street in Houston would probably go through the perp and one or two other folks too......

That would not be good.

Given your location though and the size of the bears ya got up there, suspect it'll be quite comforting toting that boat anchor around, (good exercise anyhow).

Mike

It has been a freaky bear year this year, Griz and blackies everywhere.  HAd a brownie in the driveway, and had a blackie pop up right behind me in the middle of town, like 15 feet behind me while I was in a friend's driveway chatting with him.

it gets unnerving.

There are some SD loads that will run in eiher a .44 or .454, mostly hopped up 44 spec/light .44 mags, and .45 colt stuff.    The Alaskan series of guns may prove to be a popular option for those seeking a gun to do double duty, heavy loads out in the woods, SD loads in town.  There is still interest in the big bore snubby/bulldog type gun.

I still need a decent fricken holster though.  I might have to find a leather-dude and have something made.

I am also considering something like a pocket holster that would fit in a large pocket on a coat since belt carry is not always practical when out on the machines in cold weather when wearing rain pants/cold weather gear.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#8]
try these: http://www.cowboyneeds.com/Holsters_for_Ruger_Redhawk_Alaskan-2.5.html
there are some different styles in leather and nylon/kydex
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top