Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 4:36:15 AM EDT
Hello,

I'm new here and I've been impressed w/ the board so far.  Anyway, I recently inherited a S&W model 25 (45 cal) w/ a 6 inch barrel.  It's a beauty, but not really my speed.  I also inherited a boatload of other guns several of which I plan to sell to help out my mom.  

Point is, according to blue book, it's worth between $350 and $400, but the few gun shops I've talked to say they aren't terribly interested in a revolver.  Are they trying to scam me or is demand really down?  Also, what could I realistically expect for this thing.  It looks new.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd pop it on gunbroker or gunsamerica, or list it over at the S&W forum.  You're probably right on for its value as N frame guns normally go for about $300 to $400, the model 25's are a bit rarer so it might be a bit closer to the top end, but that all depends on which variation of the model 25 it is, what featuers it has (trigger type, hammer type, pinned & recessed, sights.  However, any dealer will want to make at least 30%+ on the sale, so they are not going to give you anywhere near what its really worth.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll check out those places.  Didn't realize I could sell it here.  I of course am hesitant to sell it in the paper.  I guess I have a problem with inviting a stranger over and handing them a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd pop it on gunbroker or gunsamerica, or list it over at the S&W forum.  You're probably right on for its value as N frame guns normally go for about $300 to $400, the model 25's are a bit rarer so it might be a bit closer to the top end, but that all depends on which variation of the model 25 it is, what featuers it has (trigger type, hammer type, pinned & recessed, sights.  However, any dealer will want to make at least 30%+ on the sale, so they are not going to give you anywhere near what its really worth.

That's the truth, local dealer offered a friend of mine $250 for an unfired Springfield Mil-Spec. I know they gotta make money, but that was down right insulting if you ask me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, I showed my Charles Daly 1911 to a gun shop today.  After opening the blue book and telling me it was worth between $325 and $350, he told me $200 was the best he could do.  I of course said no.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#6]
as a s@w n-frame collector, i would agree with others about not exposing home to anyone! in order to get fair market value YOU have to market it at your price and consider reasonable offers. a dealer can't give you blue book price for a gun but i agree he does'nt have to make all his profit off you. i would never consider a gun dealer be it shop or gun show, but thier is know law aganst sell thru paper our gun trader. you won't help your mother if you group sell be cause that will run price down but seem like a lot of money and maybe 10% of value. don't you know anyone who knows guns to advice without ulterior motive. so many small things effect n-frame prices. as an example you said mod 25 and its 45 cal. well there a mod 25-2 in 45acp and a 25-5 in 45 long colt as well as allthe other things like who owned it target grips,hammer, trigger. it would ( and has taken a lifetime) and still learn thing daily. GET SOME PRO HELP AND MAYBE AN ACTION HOUSE. remember your dad obviously loved his hobby and may have extreamly rare stuff. marv
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent points.  

Thanks.  It sounds like this won't be easy, but I guess nothing ever is.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Little tip for face to face transfers.. NEVER do them in the home.  Always in a public place.  Walmart parking lots are great for this, as they're real hard to miss.  That way the tirekicker from yesterday afternoon doesn't become tonight's home invasion robber.  Running the ad with a cellphone number isn't bad practice either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hello,

I'm new here and I've been impressed w/ the board so far.  Anyway, I recently inherited a S&W model 25 (45 cal) w/ a 6 inch barrel.  It's a beauty, but not really my speed.  I also inherited a boatload of other guns several of which I plan to sell to help out my mom.  

Point is, according to blue book, it's worth between $350 and $400, but the few gun shops I've talked to say they aren't terribly interested in a revolver.  Are they trying to scam me or is demand really down?  Also, what could I realistically expect for this thing.  It looks new.

thanks

Where in Texas are you?  If you're close to or in DFW, the Market Hall Gun Show is this weekend, 24-25 Sept.  There is usually a fair sized group of us, plus several dealers that are family/friends.  They could take a look see at the revolver and let you know what price they'd ask for if they were selling.

You can find more info in the Texas Hometown Forum.  www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=8

mm
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I do visit Dallas fairly often as I have family there, but I won't be able to this weekend.  Thank you though.  You guys coming to Austin anytime soon?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I buy really nice guns like revolvers S&W and Colt and nice 20-50 year old guns and some neat new ones including rifles and shotguns.  Send me a list I may be able to buy several and I won't low ball you because I believe in paying a fair price such like I would expect to pay at a gun show.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I do visit Dallas fairly often as I have family there, but I won't be able to this weekend.  Thank you though.  You guys coming to Austin anytime soon?

I rarely go to Austin anymore and if I do it's just a day trip to meet with TCEQ.  Austin and surrounding area does have a rather large crew of it's own in the Texas Hometown forum.

mm

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top