Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 8:33:14 PM EDT
Anyone else out there shooting a Freedom Arms Revolver?  I dug out my old Freedoms Arms
Premier 454 out for a shooting session.  I hadn't shooting the thing for several years since
I've  been spending more time on black rifles.  It was a lot of fun and even though the gun has
been eclipsed in power by the 500 S&W and  Linbaugh magnums its still a powerfull gun.  
Anyone appreciate the quality built into these SA revolvers?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used a Model 83 for quite some time. Yes, it's level of power has been eclipsed however it's level of quality has not been approached.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, after not shooting or handling it for so many years I had forgotten how high quality these
guns are made and fitted.  Its  unreal how it amazed me even after having it for so long. I think I need to take it along on more range trips. Its funny how the high tech military and tactical guys
yukked  it up about the gun when I pulled it out but once they saw what it was everybody wanted  to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking into buying a freedom arms revolver in 454, This would be my first wheelgun, it would be primarily for hunting.  But would also be used as a gun to carry while hiking i.e. a last ditch bear gun.  I'm wonering what barrell length i should get?  I'd heard i could shoot 45 LC in it, is this true?  Any help or advice would be welcome!  

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two of them myself, one in .454 (10" Barrell) and one in .475 Linebaugh (7 1/2" barrell).  Both are great shooters, and of the highest quality.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm looking into buying a freedom arms revolver in 454, This would be my first wheelgun, it would be primarily for hunting.  But would also be used as a gun to carry while hiking i.e. a last ditch bear gun.  I'm wonering what barrell length i should get?  I'd heard i could shoot 45 LC in it, is this true?  Any help or advice would be welcome!  

I'm no expert on bear guns but I don't think I'd rely on any handgun for the big bears.  If you
are talking about the black bears like the size we have here in Colorado a big bore magnum
handgun would be ok but for the brown and grizzlys up north I'd rather have a short 12 gauge shotgun with slugs and a lot of capacity.

That said my Freedom Arms 454 I have now is a 7 1/2 barrel but if I were to pack one as an always to have along woods gun (as opposed to  just  during hunting season) I'd go for the 4 5/8 barrel length. I had a short field grade 454 before this gun and do miss the handiness.

I wouldn't recomend using 45 Colt rounds in the Freedom Arms guns unless you have it fitted with
an extra cylinder in that caliper. These guns are made to such tight tolerances you will run into
problems chambering 454s  even if you clean the cylinder well. You would be better off with
a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt as it would be cheaper to buy another gun like the  Ruger than to have an extra cylinder fitted by Freedom Arms. At least that was my experience when I bought
my first Freedom gun back in the eighties.  I sure the extra cylinder fitting is still pretty
expensive.
I hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top