Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 2:09:32 PM EDT
This is my first Bearcat. They sure are little things.....

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't that just the cutest thing?  If you feed it a lot, will it grow up to be a Blackhawk?

Papajohn
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
nice pistol. WTF is a Bearcat anyway? Why give it that name?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that one the "Easter Egg Edition" ?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
nice pistol. WTF is a Bearcat anyway? Why give it that name?

The "Bearcat" was/is Ruger's answer to the S&W .22 caliber Kit gun (M-34 or 63). I dont' know the exact dates, but Ruger made them for several years and then stopped for quite awhile and then brought them back into production. The early ones were made with an aluminum frame and a brass trigger guard. The newer ones are made in either blue or stainless. There was a short run of them made in .22 magnum.

The name "Bearcat" came from the rolled engraving on the cylinder that depicted a bear and a mountain lion.

I have the old version as is pictured above, but it is not in as nice shape as that one...... it is a great little camp/pack pistol!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually Bill Ruger named it after one of his favorite vintage automobiles - the Stutz Bearcat.

Stutz also made a car called the Blackhawk - are you getting the idea yet?

(The Ruger Bearcat is definitely cute though - nice gun! On my "someday" list.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top