Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 6:15:25 AM EDT
Just find this revolver hard to beat as far as a carry gun goes.

Plenty of stopping power.

Very comfortable to carry, very light weight.

It can be carried in a pants pocket easily.

6 shots isn't optimum, but it should be enough. Granted, this isn't an ideal range gun by any means. It is a damn good choice in my opinion for a reliable, does-what-it-should type defense gun.

I don't own one, but I have shot one a few times. To be able to put 357 stopping power in the pocket of a pair of jeans just seems like a great CCW option.

Anyone have experiences with these?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know the exact model you are referring to.  However I do have the airwight 340PD 5 shot 357 hammerless J-frame.  I like it quite a bit, conceals easily and is very light.

Recoil is intense when using 357Mag rounds in an 11oz gun.  I use it as a last chance backup gun, or for times when it is impractical to have my primary CCW with me (1911 Govt.)

The gun is easy to carry, so for most people that means carrying it more often.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't know the exact model you are referring to.  However I do have the airwight 340PD 5 shot 357 hammerless J-frame.  I like it quite a bit, conceals easily and is very light.

Recoil is intense when using 357Mag rounds in an 11oz gun.  I use it as a last chance backup gun, or for times when it is impractical to have my primary CCW with me (1911 Govt.)

The gun is easy to carry, so for most people that means carrying it more often.

Understatement of the century.  It is the most brutal handgun I've ever fired, and I love the large caliber handguns.  But the weight and design just make it brutal.  As a CCW when nothing else will work, it is suitable.  But I'm sure you'd prefer to ccw anything else if possible.  So, if wearing clothing where only the 340PD will conceal, it's a great gun since you would be unarmed without it.  But you will rarely practice with it, and it will mostly be useful to loan to other shooters and watch them endure the torture.

In my opinion, the 340PD could be a good purchase if your clothing prevents CCW with a larger gun.  But, have another gun for CCW to carry when possible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Clothing can be a problem in FL. Just muggy and hot beyond reason.

I fully agree that if the above wasn't such a big consideration, another choice in gun would be a good idea.

That being said, the monster recoil doesn't really bother me. I'd practice with 38's and carry 357's. If the gun was pulled in a defensive situation, it seems to have what it would take to handle most problems. Granted, the muzzle flip would make follow up shots harder, but based on size, weight & caliber it's being strongly considered.

P.S.- This is the exact model I'm thinking about....

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I fully agree that if the above wasn't such a big consideration, another choice in gun would be a good idea.

That being said, the monster recoil doesn't really bother me. I'd practice with 38's and carry 357's. If the gun was pulled in a defensive situation, it seems to have what it would take to handle most problems. Granted, the muzzle flip would make follow up shots harder, but based on size, weight & caliber it's being strongly considered.

Well, living in south Texas I can understand hot weather, but typically it isn't enough of a concern to avoid carrying a fullsize automatic, I just get lightwieght cotten shirts to cover everything up.  

I also do not give much consideration to the recoil in a self defense situation and have little doubts about its ability to handle the problem, but it is definatly a weapon of last resort, having extreme recoil, less than optimal sights, and low capacity -  5 shots with relatively slow relading.  I would not recommend it as a primary CCW.

But then again, I like mine and appreciate its ability to be concealed when nothing else really will.

This is the exact modelI have, 340PD, 5 shots.  Your statement of 6 shots threw me off as S&W now makes so many airwieght variations.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Your statement of 6 shots threw me off as S&W now makes so many airwieght variations.

+1 in the chamber
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked one up last week.  It is great to carry and real painful to shoot magnums to say the least.  I was having problems with 125gr factory Remington SJHP's.  It says right on the gun "No less than 120gr bullet" so I figured I'd be alright but the cylinder locked up on 3 out of 5 cylinders worth of ammo.  I was going to buy some heavier ammo to try out but 20 magnum rounds out of this thing was enough for me.

I am going to buy some shooting gloves and shoot alot magnums to see which brand of ammo won't come unseated.  I'm pretty sure that anything above 130gr will be fine but I'd rather find out on the range.  

I have a buddy that thinks the .357 magnum rounds can't be "too bad" to shoot through it, I can't wait to take him out to the range.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one i have only shot maye 50 rounds of .357 out of it so far

Info i got from here said to use Speer Golddot .38 for short barrel and the recoil is a little better havent been home to try it yet
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have heard good things about the Gold Dot for short barrel revolvers.  They also have it in .357.  I placed an order with Wholesale Hunter and they are out of stock.   Havwen't looked else where for it.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#9]
yep, its the ultimate ccw.

i used hand loads to work myself up to being able to shoot the 357mag, which is what i carry in it. i started out with 38 loads, and gradually increased the load as i was able to shoot them well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
yep, its the ultimate ccw.

i used hand loads to work myself up to being able to shoot the 357mag, which is what i carry in it. i started out with 38 loads, and gradually increased the load as i was able to shoot them well.

+1 on ultimate carry when I carry it will be that gun.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I would get the 642 or 442 in .38 Special and call it a day.  The 340PD is about $250 more than the 642, and is only an ounce or two lighter.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just find this revolver hard to beat as far as a carry gun goes.

Plenty of stopping power.

Very comfortable to carry, very light weight.

It can be carried in a pants pocket easily.

6 shots isn't optimum, but it should be enough. Granted, this isn't an ideal range gun by any means. It is a damn good choice in my opinion for a reliable, does-what-it-should type defense gun.

I don't own one, but I have shot one a few times. To be able to put 357 stopping power in the pocket of a pair of jeans just seems like a great CCW option.

Anyone have experiences with these?

6 Shots ? Am i missing something
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would get the 642 or 442 in .38 Special and call it a day.  The 340PD is about $250 more than the 642, and is only an ounce or two lighter.  

+1
Loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P GDHP
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/userimages/163061_large.jpg

Recoil on Airweights in .357 is more than intense. By the way, you should ALWAYS train with the Ammo you will be carrying in your weapon. Practicing with the .38 and carrying the .357 with no practice is asking for trouble. The Smith 640 is heavier but it is the best short barreled revolver for the .357 Mag.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Go with the 642 .38 Airweight, +p rated, internal hammer and very lightweight, i just bought one and havent even fired it yet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top