Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 9:41:53 PM EDT
What is popular opinion on the wooden factory grips?  Are they universally reviled, or are the myriad aftermarket grips just too enticing to ignore?

I have a 4" model 66 police turn-in that I use for DA shooting.  I am using Hogue rubber finger groove grips for it.

I also have a 6" model 66 with a pretty light trigger than I only use for SA target shooting. I had switched from the factory woods to Hogue/Pachmyer due to inconsistent hand holds and for a little more control with .357.  I recently switched it back to the woods when I got the 4" (and no longer shot a lot of 6" DA).  

I really like the look of the wood grip and how it fills my hand and have adopted a higher hand hold for SA which I didn't like for DA.

I am not too worried about muscle memory when swithing guns since the finger grooves allow no variability on my 4".

Wondering if others have similar experiences.

Thanks,
CarbineO
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
My M66 came with target stocks. They look nice but are too fat for most hands. SOP at my Dept. was to change them out for Pachmayr 's. I preferred the Pachmayr Gripper Professionals due to the open backstrap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the hogue finger groove wood grips on my model 19 and I love them

www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml?pid=947&lastcatid=244&step=4

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]

love my hogue grips too
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The factory target stocks are pretty good for bullseye shooting with light loads.  Shooting a heavy load shows that you don't have a firm grip and the hump on the left side is going to bust the inside of your thumb knuckle.  If you have any other purpose you need other grips.  My favorite is the Craig Spegal boot grip.  The Pachmyr Compaq is also good.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The factory target stocks are pretty good for bullseye shooting with light loads.  .

Yep. This is about the way I was seeing it. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Shop on ebay, for your grips. Their is always someone selling new grips for K or N frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top