Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 7:46:44 AM EDT
Kinda toying around with the idea of another .357.  Something with a little longer barrel.  Maybe 6".

How does Dan Wesson compare in terms of fit, function, and accuracy next to say a 686 S&W?  I've always been very happy with S&W overall apperance and finess, and the triggers have always been great.  That said, those have been older models.  I had never seriously looked at DW but decided it could be something worth looking at.

Any opinions?

Gundraw
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally rate Dan Wesson below both S&W and Ruger.

The DW "problem" has always been lack of consistent quality.
DW's built at different times fluctuate depending on the financial condition of the company.

Some DW's are excellent quality guns, and others are problems.

What quality a specific DW is CANNOT be judged by the year it was made.
Like ALL guns, they aren't vintages of wine.  There are NO "good years" or "bad years".
There are only good quality guns and bad.

Each and every gun must be judged on IT'S own merits.

Some BRANDS of guns can be said to be more problematical, and DW is one of those.
Get a bad S&W, and that's noteworthy.
Get a problem Dan Wesson, and it's not that unusual.

Bottom line:  My advice is, always buy the best if you can. Right now, S&W is the best revolver in the world.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like an honest opinion about the brands.  Very informative!!!

Thanks dfariswheel, that's exactly what I was looking for.  I'll keep that in mind.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The resale seems low on the DW products, if you like older Smiths they are readily available why take a chance?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't offer a comparison because I only own a DW. Much like the first reply mine would be too biased.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#5]
They are strong but if you want to use the barrel swap thing make sure you get the wrench . Overall they seem kinda clunky or chunky . Id stick with S&W .
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Well, I have a DW in 44 Mag and I love it.

In my opinion, if you get one that is from the original incarnation of the company you should be fine.
It would be what they refer to as a Monson, as in Monson, MA.

They are super tough and will take powerful loads a lot better than most others. Accurate as all hell due to the bbl being tightened down by the bbl nut for use with the interchangeable bbl system, which also makes them extremely versatile.

There are bbl lengths in 2.5, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15" for the .357's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The word on the DW is that the trigger pull is shorter but stacks more than SW.  That is at least what I have heard.  

I really like my Monson, Mass example of the .357, the more so as it came with the truck axle barrell (15").  It is freakish, and that is a fine thing.  DA is a little heavy for my puny fingers, but SA is excellent, excellent.  

The 8" full underlug is a modest straw by comparison.

The shop where I happened to be had some used pythons and some smiths as well.  I wound up with the DW, and given what was available, do not regret it one bit.  

Maybe if there had been a nice model 19.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both.  An older DW with two barrels (8" & 4")  and a 7shot 686.    My DW with the 8" barrel is very accurate and is easy to aim for longer range shooting.   However, with the 4" barrel installed, it is nothing very special.  The DW SA trigger is good.  

The 686 is nicer in appearance and has a much smoother DA trigger.   It has a 4" barrel and it's well balanced and an overall nice shooter.    So I carry the Smith for short to medium ranges.  For longer range shooting and plinking,  I bring the 8" DW clunker.  - Phil
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top