Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2005 6:49:10 PM EDT
How's that for a conroversial title?

In my opinion, the best 357 Magnum revolvers ever made are the Smith and Wesson Model 686 Distinguished Combat Magnum, and the Ruger GP-100.

My favorite of the two is the 686, and this is my newest, a 686-4 with a square butt and four inch barrel.

N frames are great, but they are more gun than needed for the cartridge. Pythons are fantastic, but my opinions are about fighting handguns that can take a lot of punishment and keep on shooting. Concealment is not the issue, although I can EASILY conceal this gun.

This one is from the last run of the square butt S&W's and has the firing pin on the hammer, and no MIM parts. Sweet double action pull and immaculate SA break. Bigass wood Target grips. ( I love these grips on this gun, they just feel "right")

My intention is not to start any BIG arguments, but to stimulate a little discussion on your favorite 357. and why you like it.

We've all got our opinions and our reasons. let's hear yours!
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Hands down, it goes to the Colt python, Very closely followed by the Ruger Security Six.

The 686 is a fine weapon as well
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W 686 is a better gun then the Colt Python. The 686 will not need to be retimed nearly as much and will take more full power loads also without being retimed. The fit and finish of the 2 are eaqual but the 686 overall is in a higher class of weapon IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice looking peice!  

I have a 4" Ruger GP-100, and I like it.  It's going to stay in my stable.  I'm not sure if I'll ever get another .357 revolver, so I doubt I'll end up with a 686.  I am looking at a J frame for CCW, though.  

Nice pictures!  
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]

S&W 686 is a better gun then the Colt Python. The 686 will not need to be retimed nearly as much and will take more full power loads also without being retimed. The fit and finish of the 2 are eaqual but the 686 overall is in a higher class of weapon IMHO

I beg to differ.
You must not own a Python or even an older S&W "N" frame.
A S&W 686 is utilitarian.
The other two are works of art.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Art has nothing to do with it.

I own four Model 27's, a Registered Magnum, two Triple Locks, two 57's, four 29's, two Heavy Duties, a Model 24, two 25's, and a PC625.

I know all about works of art. My criteria is not about art. If it was, I would have just posted about the RegMag.

When I say BEST, I'm talking about best OVERALL. the best combination of concealability, reliability, balance, pointability, accuracy, ruggedness, beauty, and economy.

The 686 is, in my opinion the best 357 made, and has all of the above characteristics. Not the BEST in all of them, but OVERALL the best.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Added:

I've owned four Pythons. OWNED.

They just don't live up to the hype. For me anyway..........
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hands down, it goes to the Colt python, Very closely followed by the Ruger Security Six.

The 686 is a fine weapon as well

My wife LOVES her Security-Six with rubber Hogue grips. Milk jugs fear her at 25 yards.

I happen to like it too.

Bob

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]

When I say BEST, I'm talking about best OVERALL. the best combination of concealability, reliability, balance, pointability, accuracy, ruggedness, beauty, and economy.

The 686 is, in my opinion the best 357 made, and has all of the above characteristics. Not the BEST in all of them, but OVERALL the best.

Point taken.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my S&W Model 19.  It's the "classic" fighting .357.

Came after the limited "N" frame .357 era, and before the "L" frame guns.  Now admittedly the L-frame guns, and their equivalents like the Ruger GP, are more durable, but they're from the era of LE beginning to switch to autos.  They're too late to be "classics".

I haven't found another revolver that handles like a K-frame, and as S&W dropped the 19 it automatically gains more class.  

That's my completely biased opinion (but I'm still on the lookout for a "shooter" 686...)
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

S&W 686 is a better gun then the Colt Python. The 686 will not need to be retimed nearly as much and will take more full power loads also without being retimed. The fit and finish of the 2 are eaqual but the 686 overall is in a higher class of weapon IMHO

I beg to differ.
You must not own a Python or even an older S&W "N" frame.
A S&W 686 is utilitarian.
The other two are works of art.

I own a Python and an Anaconda. Both are top quality no arguing that!!!! I also own an N frame, 629 along with my 686 which were made years ago with no lock on them. After firing all of them the 686 is my 1st choice concidering all. Art is debatable but if you want a dependable revolver S&W's are it! Ask any old cop which has used the Python and the Smith and I'd bet he would take the Smith any day of the week. Colts had more then their shair of problems.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I own a 6" 586 and an 8" Python.

The 586 has had over 8k full on 357 rounds through it and is still as tight and very accurate as it was new.

The Python has had two timing jobs and needs a third. It is now and will remain a safe queen. I will probably send it back to Colt for another repair and refinish, but shooting it much is over with.  "Pretty" does not equal serviceablility.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the 586.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm afraid the Python is going to place ahead of a Ruger in most peoples minds, but no argument on the Smith.

I put in well over a thousand rounds in my Python and had no timing troubles at all.  I gave it to my brother when  he graduated college, and it's still going fine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#14]
1,000 rounds is nothing! I will sometimes do 1K in 2 days so I need my guns/revolvers to last. My 686 has had thousands upon thousands of rounds through it year after year and not one timing job. Smith's are just better built then most.

Mu Colts are also safe queens now!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my GP 100, but a 686 would be a definite "target of opportunity" if I came across one priced right. Nice pics, RogerC
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#17]
S&W Model 19 - handy and blue
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#18]
That was my first handgun.  I miss it so.

I bought it on  layaway at a Smitty's Grocery Store Here in Phoenix in the mid 80's.  I know that kinda dates me but no one else will.

I have a 6" version with the Uncle Mikes hard rubber grips but it's just not the same.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the 686 very well, but if I was to own only one revolver, and could never have another one it would be the Ruger GP100. There is no .357 magnum medium sized revolver tougher than it is. It has great strength, and is accurate. As for a large frame I love the N frame Smith&Wessons.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I own a 686 snubby (3"?) and a long barrel (6 1/2 ?). As you can see I am too lazy to crack the safe and get the exact lengths. I have though the mid length such as yours would also be nice.I have shot a bunch of other guns and although the pythons are cool I feel much as you do. The 686 for me seems to be the perfect ballance of weight,frame size,ballance,trigger geometry and god only knows what else. I can shoot these guns like nothing else. My personal choice for my mits is the houge rubber grips (round but) with the finger groves.The wood grips look best but most of my shooting is double action (plate shoots and such) and I can keep a better grip with the Houge finger grips. I once shot an ICORE match (sort of ipsic for revolvers) that was supported very well by S&W and I won my class. I got all excited and did a three year membership. Of course there wasn't an ICORE match within 600 mi of connecticut in the whole three years.
          I was going to try IPSIC or IDPA (in the revolver class) but both have become a equipment race by a bunch of childish gamers . Setups are supposed to be revolver friendly but unless you have a 45acp with moon clips or other gun converted (at huge expense) to moon clips you are not even close to competitive.
So I go out and buy a smith set up for 45acp and in the year I am trying to get my hands and mind around the N frame the bastids change the barrel length requirement and my ($500) gun is no longer allowed. Screw the bastards,I am back shooting the local plateshots and such with my 686
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top