Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2017 11:51:14 AM EDT
Anyone else have this happen?  

It has been more humid here this summer.  But it was a bit surprising to me.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it this afternoon.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I sweat profusely on mine on a weekly basis doing lawn work and such. No rust yet. I do wipe it down biweekly or so.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It seemed to have come right off with some CLP and just a paper towel.  Part of me was wondering if my holster wasn't starting to flake or degrade and attached itself.  Looks like rust though.  And when I took my fingernail to it, it seemed more stubborn than just some caked on leather flakes.  

But it seems to have disappeared.  If that's possible.  I would think the finish would be permanently damaged but I can't tell with the oil on there.

I used to carry my Colt DS deep blued and never had a hint of rust.  But it probably wasn't as humid that year as it is this year.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It seemed to have come right off with some CLP and just a paper towel.  Part of me was wondering if my holster wasn't starting to flake or degrade and attached itself.  Looks like rust though.  And when I took my fingernail to it, it seemed more stubborn than just some caked on leather flakes.  

But it seems to have disappeared.  If that's possible.  I would think the finish would be permanently damaged but I can't tell with the oil on there.

I used to carry my Colt DS deep blued and never had a hint of rust.  But it probably wasn't as humid that year as it is this year.
View Quote
Wipe it down with a gun cloth every week. One of those oiled cloths, know what I'm talking about? You will not have any problems. I live in South Florida and none of my guns have any rust on them. And I sweat all over them all the time!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I expected to see  1969 Oldsmobile pics.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to put some Johnson paste wax, the kind you use on a floor on it.  The wax will keep it from rusting.

Regards
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoulda got the 642?  

Do you carry holster, or stuffed in waistband a la clip grip, etc?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Everytime I make a thread!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You need to put some Johnson paste wax, the kind you use on a floor on it.  The wax will keep it from rusting.

Regards
View Quote
I'll ask my buddy at church.  He works there.   Maybe he can get me some.  Or I'll go buy it....  But it's a big company in our area.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Shoulda got the 642?  

View Quote
I bought it from my Mom when my Step Dad died.  So I wasn't really choosey about the color / finish.    That probably sounded like I wanted to make you feel bad.  I wasn't meaning to.  

I carry it in a Galco leather holster AIWB.  Pretty much all the time.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Wipe 'er down with RemOil or your oil of choice once in a while.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I guess I gotta do that more regular like.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Kind of off topic, but what do you think of the Galco holster?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I like that holster a lot.  I'm not sure that's what it's exactly made for.  It's labeled:  0139L  STO158.   makes me think the L means left and it was supposed to be an OWB.  I think my mother bought it for me for Christmas.  No, actually, that one I just looked inside the box and it looked like the way I needed it.  There is a wire insert in the leather at the top, you can kind of see it.  So I think that was there to help keep it round for OWBing.  Or maybe it was meant for IWB...  I don't know.  I use it AIWB.   I don't like it as much strong side, but it still works.  It just makes the handle stick out more than I like.  

Anyways....  It's plenty comfy.  And it works well. I can draw from it real good and I really don't have any complaints.  The clip has a split in the middle so if I have to straddle the belt loop on some of my pants with the clip, I can.  That's actually a really really nice feature.   And I much prefer a suede leather over something smooth or shiny.  I think it would stick annoyingly, or suction.  Possibly.

And oh yeah, the clip latches really well underneath the belt.  Older picture.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry 442 daily and that was defiantly rust.  Get a good rust preventative oil, wipe it down and allow it to soak.

The 442 has a carbon steel cylinder while the 642 has a SS cylinder.

Black is more better though...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like that holster a lot.  I'm not sure that's what it's exactly made for.  It's labeled:  0139L  STO158.   makes me think the L means left and it was supposed to be an OWB.  I think my mother bought it for me for Christmas.  No, actually, that one I just looked inside the box and it looked like the way I needed it.  There is a wire insert in the leather at the top, you can kind of see it.  So I think that was there to help keep it round for OWBing.  Or maybe it was meant for IWB...  I don't know.  I use it AIWB.   I don't like it as much strong side, but it still works.  It just makes the handle stick out more than I like.  

Anyways....  It's plenty comfy.  And it works well. I can draw from it real good and I really don't have any complaints.  The clip has a split in the middle so if I have to straddle the belt loop on some of my pants with the clip, I can.  That's actually a really really nice feature.   And I much prefer a suede leather over something smooth or shiny.  I think it would stick annoyingly, or suction.  Possibly.

And oh yeah, the clip latches really well underneath the belt.  Older picture.  

http://i.imgur.com/d6lUMI1.jpg
View Quote
Awesome thanks! Trying to pick out a holster for my new 442 and decided to switch it up with leather instead of kydex this time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#16]
JJ give the Bladetech Klipt holster a look too
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Kinda a hijack but don't trust these anti corrosion storage bags to keep your guns from rusting. I just bought a S&W 25-5 stored in one of those and it had some small spots on it.
Attachment Attached File

Here are some other pics
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Mine did that within the first week of owning it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I wipe my "J" frame down with M-Pro7 about once a month. Just a real light coating. But more important than that to me is to wipe out the holster real good. They seem to collect bits of grit, sand, mud, dust, plant material, etc... I wipe the holster out every other week or so especially in the summer months.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I have had good luck with RIG Grease.  I have a piece of wool (wool still on the hide) that I put a small amount of RIG grease on and then wipe my guns down before I put them away or any time I handle them.  It has done a very good job at keeping my gun rust free for many years now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#21]
contact Robar and have it coated...

Your grandchildren will never see rust.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I carry 442 daily and that was defiantly rust.  Get a good rust preventative oil, wipe it down and allow it to soak.

The 442 has a carbon steel cylinder while the 642 has a SS cylinder.

Black is more better though...
View Quote
My next J frame is going to be steel framed...  Whether it will be stainless or not, I don't know.  Wouldn't mind it.  Well, this is at least my goal.  Then I might have a snowballs chance of being able to handle plus p in it.  

A 640 would be really nice. Or a 649....   Something like that.  

I will definitely be keeping a better eye on it.  This also points out that there was too long in between dry firing sessions.  I think I went a couple weeks.  FOR SHAME.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine started rusting a long time ago. I wipe it with oil and live with it. It is hot and humid and gets sweat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:15:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I wipe my 442 down with an oily rag every night after carrying it as I do with all my guns,it's ten years old and looks like dog shit but no rust ever.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bought it from my Mom when my Step Dad died.  So I wasn't really choosey about the color / finish.    That probably sounded like I wanted to make you feel bad.  I wasn't meaning to.  

http://i.imgur.com/dp2s9py.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoulda got the 642?  

http://i.imgur.com/dp2s9py.jpg
leather. Dead rotting animal hide.  Also known as rust magnet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#27]
My revolvers all rust like what yours did, I just learned to wipe them down more often. I think it adds character after I removed the rust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top