Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2017 9:59:36 AM EDT
I really wanted to get a 4 inch 357 Magnum Revolver.  I used to have a 4 inch S&W that I traded in many years ago when I switched over to semi-auto pistols.  I chalk that up to a poor decision from my youth.  
I didn't want to spend much (~$400) for a gun that would just be an occasional range toy.  
Looking at new guns, I had read that Windicators sometimes lock up, that the firing pins tend to break on Rossi's, and that Taurus's can run the gambit with issues.  
I tried scouring for used S&W's, but they either were way over budget or I was too late by the time I found one.
I finally started looking at Sarsilmaz SR 38's.  Contrary to the name, these revolvers are all forged steel and are 357 magnum's rated for +P.  I have read that they are clones of the S&W 686's, although I can't find confirmation for that. I used google translate to read Turkish reviews and message boards about the SR 38, but couldn't find anything negative about them. So I found one on the internet and pulled the trigger ($364 shipped).  It's currently in route to my LGS, and I should get it early this week.
Does anyone have any experience with these? I'd love to hear if someone has handled or even shot one before.  I figure that even in the worst case, I'm not out much.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Never knee the Turks made a 686 clone. Interesting
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I think OP will be the beta tester.   I hope it works out well.
Those look new to the US.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I ordered up one myself so we shall see....
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
It would be interesting to see one of these with the sideplate off and check how close the innards are to S&W's. I stick with actual S&W's but I understand that not everyone can afford one. Personally, if they are good, strong revolvers I think this is a good thing all around.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Also interested in this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Have been interested in this thread, any updates OP?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
SR-38 .357 Magnum Revolver Review

Seems decent enough. I would pay a little more for a used American made revolver though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like a 586 copy.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but just about every pawn shop I go into has 586s for sale.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a 586 copy.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but just about every pawn shop I go into has 586s for sale.
View Quote
For how much?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For how much?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For how much?
And how many are "Classic Line" guns with MIM parts, two piece barrels, internal firing pins, and locks?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And how many are "Classic Line" guns with MIM parts, two piece barrels, internal firing pins, and locks?
View Quote
MIM parts are better, nothing wrong with two piece barrels, internal firing pins are more reliable.  The lock is the only issue and it is easily removed if you feel that is necessary.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
MIM parts are better, nothing wrong with two piece barrels, internal firing pins are more reliable.  The lock is the only issue and it is easily removed if you feel that is necessary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clearly you don't understand why used original pre lock pre MIM guns sell for more than brand new "Classic Line" guns. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Clearly you don't understand why used original pre lock pre MIM guns sell for more than brand new "Classic Line" guns. 
View Quote
Oh I understand why, but it has very little to do with actual performance.  Ask many of the gunsmiths doing trigger jobs for guys setting up S&W revolvers for competitive shooters.  The MIM guns are easier to work on and far more consistent in part geometry.  Frame mounted firing pins let you run lighter double action triggers and still get reliable ignition.  Frame mounted firing pins are also is much much more tolerant to lots of dry firing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:27:22 AM EDT
[#14]
My SR38 seems to be a decent gun all around. Lock up is a little weak, but it had no problems shooting 100 .38 spl, and  another 100 158gr .357 rounds so far. Very nice trigger, DA is fully the equal of my friend's 686, and the SA trigger is a lot better. We took my Dan Wesson 15-2 4" with us to do a little comparison. The DW is the best of the three, IMHO, it's a more pleasant gun to shoot than either of the others, and I prefer the operation of the DW, but I like the other two fine. If it's a matter of resale value, the 686 with no lock is worth almost what the other two guns are added together. As far as I'm concerned, the SR38 is a winner, as are all the SAR guns I own, or have shot. Right now, I have 4 SAR guns, a K2 45, a K2 P, a CM9 G2, and the SR 38. The CM9 G2 is a nice CZ P-07 sort of clone. Fantastic trigger and all the SAR guns seem to be very well made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top