Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 6:10:27 AM EDT
 I just picked up a Gp-100 4" bbl in stainless. It is LNIB but used. After I brought it home and started messing with it (dryfire etc) it because obvious that the ejector rod has a problem. After I push it, it won't return to its original position. I can force it back but it takes considerable force and an audible click noise is heard. I'm not new to revolvers and this is the 2nd Gp-100 I've owned. Does anyone know what the problem may be? I've looked in the exploded diagram and I suspect that the return spring may be binding, however, it doesn't feel like a spring.
Anyone had a similiar situation? I've tried calling the cutomer service line at Ruger but its always busy. I'm sure I can still shoot it but ejecting spent brass will take much longer than its supposed to.

Editied to add:
The underside of the backstrap also seems to have been left "in the white" or not polished.
Its almost white in color and quite ruff.
Is this normal or should I sent it back to Ruger for a re-do?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Has it been cleaned really good or do you think it mechanical? Not being new, you really don't know its history. If you got it from a gunshow, someone may have tinkered with it. Someone had to know it was like that, gave up and dumped it, me thinks. It takes a special wrench to take apart the ejector system. So it may be out of your hands other than a good cleaning, lubing and inspecting for any bent or damaged parts. A friend just sent back a P-89DC and is quite happy with the service, if it comes to that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Its most definitly mechanical.
I've contacted the FFL that I bought it from. He may take it back, I wanted a 3" bbl anyway.
I'm thinking that the return spring my be binding, but it doesn't feel like it.
I was going to put Wolff springs in this gun and have it coated with a Black T type coating.
I wanted a trail gun and figured this would be a great choice. Now I'm leaning twards a taurus 41 mag tracker. Only problem is a I don't want a ported gun. Guess we'll see...
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
At least you seem to have some recourse, thats good the FFL would take it back. That is really the first time I ever heard of any problem from a GP-100...other than one with an accuracy issue, a 4 incher, that was all over the paper. I never got to "play" with the .41 mag tracker yet, hope that one suits your needs. When you let one .41 go, I think you will know it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#4]
AG,
 Unfortuatly, the email I sent to the FFL that I purchased it from has gone unanswered. Therefore I sent it to Ruger via UPS. I do plan to make it known to future customers that the FFL stated the gun had no problems, and then wouldn't do squat when it did. (won't even answer an email.)

Screw em' I'll not use his services again and what do you know, they even have a feedback forum on the board he posts on. Perhaps justice will be served.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Slacker.  Save  your reciept for shipping the pistol to Ruger and when you get it back send them a note with a copy and they should refund that amount to you.

I actually got a great deal on a like new Ruger MK II that shot WAYYYYyyy to the left for $75.  I ended up sending it to Ruger.  Since the barrelled upper section needed to be swapped out and it's the serial numbered part, they had to issue a new serial number.  Of course this required the pistol to be shipped back to a FFL holder now instead of directly back to me. Everyone local wanted $40-$50 to receive the pistol and handle the transfer and re-registration.  Ruger re-imbersed me for all the expenses.......great service and great pistol now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Sheldon, I'll remember that. Good advice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]
A good friend just got a brand new P-89 back as a replacement for one that has seen a lot of use. The frame had a crack in the back (where web of hand sits). To me, that is beyond service! Politics not withstanding, Ruger rocks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top