Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 10:30:01 PM EDT
I just recently aquired a model 66 no dash 2.5" barrel in very good condition. Currently it has some rubber grips on it and I would like to replace them with a nice set of wood grips or maybe some vz grips. What are some decent choices that won't break the bank?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Kim Ahrends on eBay.

I'll advise against VZ grips on a k frame. I have a pair & the profile on the front looks & feels like it came off a wood splitter or something.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
All my smiths wear arhends either cocobolo or morodillo you can order through the maker in iowa get custom made choices or just grab a set off ebay for $ 70

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Wood grips are for safe queens or old school revolvers.  Rubber grips are for shooters, all my S&W have rubber grips on them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I could dig some rubber grips, if they had some good ones without finger grooves. Pachmyers are too ugly.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Hogue now makes a version of their monogrip without finger grooves.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the Pachmayr presentation series. (rubber) No finger grooves.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I am pretty sure I have a set of those in my junk bin.  I hate all things Hogue.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wasn't aware of this.  Really?  For a square butt?  Or are the 2.5"er's only round butted?  

OP;  PICS of said weapon????  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wood grips are for safe queens or old school revolvers.  Rubber grips are for shooters, all my S&W have rubber grips on them.
View Quote

you have a right to be wrong  but rubber grips suck, but girls seem to likes them .

I like the tactical finger grove from arhends on a rnd butt K frame or N frame.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

you have a right to be wrong  but rubber grips suck, but girls seem to likes them .

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your right my wife like the rubber grips too.  I have the round butt Hogue with finger grooves on my K and N frames.  IF the finger grooves fit your hand they are nice.  Good grip wet or dry, hot or cold.  The rubber sucks up some recoil for those long matches where the round count starts to climb.  For me grips are about my hands and not there for trying to win a beauty contest. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree the rubber grips are for guns that will be shot and used. I have hogue grips on 3 ar15's, m&p 40, and my shield. I just don't liike the look of them on the 66. I think I will get the vz grips to help with the looks and durability and also keep the function like I want. Now the question is, what color?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Ahrends

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]
They look nice! Which grip from Ahrends would you recomend and what wood? I really like the finger grooves too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Who makes those? Link please.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#16]
All of my K and J-Frame RB revolvers wear Precision Gun Specialties Hideout Grips, including both of my 2-1/2" 66's. They are inexpensive, durable and work very well for me. I've been using them since my first custom K-Frame Karl Sokol built for me back in 1994.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They look nice! Which grip from Ahrends would you recommend and what wood? I really like the finger grooves too.
View Quote

coco bolo kim used to sell was mt favorite it's not available any more. so I now purchase morodillo grips I do like the Caribbean rose wood but have not seen them first hand. do not get the walnut even Kim will tell you it is very soft and easily dented.  

which grip is a very personal choice and depends greatly on use, barrel length and operator preference.

I'll give it a shot

K frame sq butt 4" I like the banana grip with no finger grooves

K frame rnd butt 4" - Like finger groove tactical combats   these are also the most comfortable grips made in N frame rnd butt.  

K frame sq butt 4" barrel or  less than  4" barrel --  the finger groove boot grips are awesome  the banana boot grips are very comfortable too.  

I do not like the N frame square butts they are HUGE
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
I much prefer the look of wood grips but when it comes to range time I do better with rubber grips as well; my 2.5" 19 wears Pachneyr Compact Professional grips; yep they aren't pretty but they work well for me.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Get the tactical cut for use with speedloaders. I like to mix up the wood types on my stainless smith's.

Never had a pair of Ahrends I was unhappy with. I like the grip profile & the asthetics
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Who makes those? Link please.
View Quote

You asking me or someone else?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, I am asking you Bob Cole.

What about these? Does anyone have experience?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Altamonts are good to go......I just don't like the glorified plywood they use.

ETA=same with the ones BobCole posted....they look like the factory grips that came on my Ladysmith. Nice, but I prefer real wood.

Altamonts on a 681, it now wears some vintage Diamond Magnas

Later Magnas on a model 10

And for the ultimate in concealment, the old style Service stocks

Altamont bonded ivory

Here's a group shot, you can see the vintage stocks on the 681 here, I love 'em
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#23]
So Altamonts don't use solid wood? Where did you see they use a plywood?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#24]
They use laminated wood. Look at my first picture. What looks like grain is actually the different layers of the laminate.

ETA-sturdy as hell, just not my preference
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So Altamonts don't use solid wood? Where did you see they use a plywood?
View Quote

I just checked their site. Their grips, at least the ones I looked at, are laminated wood, not solid. The good thing about using laminated wood is that the grain direction is alternated each layer, making it next to impossible for them to crack or break.

Some people may not like the looks of laminated wood for grips, but it is a far superior material to use in every way (looks included, IMO) over solid wood.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#26]
nothin wrong with laminated grips

everybody seems to love my factory ruger grips when they see them.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes, I am asking you Bob Cole.

What about these? Does anyone have experience?
View Quote

I have bought from them. I've also bought Hogue's & direct from S&W. All were/are quality grips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top