Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2013 6:06:21 PM EDT
This is my new to me 10-8. It is kind of a odd creation but something about it was calling me. It has a good bit of custom work that looks to me like a older 80s PPC 80s style revolver. It has a PPC style sight rib that is marked "J E Gutridge Dyer Ind." It has some nice blade sights that have white outline rear and white stripe front. The other cool part is the ports in the barrel with a built in comp. The barrel looks like it was back bored about 1/2 inch then had ports cut at 11 and 1 oclock. Then a "machined ring" was pressed in the muzzle end creating a kind of expansion chamber/comp. under the ports. It also has a bobbed hammer with no single action notch. The trigger is polished and has a AMAZING DA pull. Hopefully it will fire primers properly. The trigger also has a little rod or set screw in place. it has the little rubber tube stuck on it in the picture. You can pull it as DA or pull it until you feel the rubber touch. Pull a hair more and the trigger drops. Kind of neat. Or just pull the rubber tube out and it works like a normal DA trigger with over travel screw. When i got it home i noticed it also has the cylinders nicely chamfered and numbered. It has some bluing wear but times great and locks up tight. I cant wait to get it to the range and play a little. With the extra weight of the sight rib, ports and comp it should have very little recoil or muzzle rise. if it proves reliable it might just become my GF nightstand gun.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool piece.

I can't remember ever seeing a PPC gun with less than a 6" tube much less an expansion chamber compensator. How does she shoot?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a revolver guy and I'm digging that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool piece.

I can't remember ever seeing a PPC gun with less than a 6" tube much less an expansion chamber compensator. How does she shoot?
View Quote

I just picked it up today so i have not shot it yet. The trigger pull is insane! I am almost expecting to get light primer strikes because it just feels so light. But addition to being light it is perfectly smooth. No stacking or grittiness at all.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You will see that you'll fall in love with it. Model 10's are a lot of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry,had a bad connection I guess, and posted several times.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry about the duplicate posts.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Could be a PPC gun, but in the early days of NRA Action Shooting (Bianchi Cup) people had similar pieces made, and comps were common. I'm not sure comps were allowed in PPC. All the mods you mention were common, although fewer shooters used the trigger staging stop in competition.  We used to use Federal primers because the were the softest. If its not reliable, tighten the tension spring and the action will still feel great. Google Frank Glenn, Ron Power, they were a couple of the top makers, and try to find Bianchi Cup photos from 1984 to 1988. The guns will be similar, but optics took over quickly.  The round butt is a little unusual, but some people preferred them, and some bought the cheapest base gun they could find.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Got it to the range today. Love the way it shoots. One hole at 15 yards. Two problems though. I had a few FTF. I am sure the main spring is too light. I will put a new main spring in it and make sure the screw is tight and original length. Should fix the FTF. Also it was hitting a little to high. The rear sight is all they way down. So that will take a little more work to fix. But i was kind of wanting a fiber optic front sight. I could take the opportunity to mill of the front sight and dovetail it for a taller 1911 Novack sight. Then i could change them as i like.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:06:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice, what's the bbl length?

I have a 10-6 with a 6"bbl & my brother has a 14-3 with a 6" bbl. Both run flawlessly with federal primers. Both revolvers also have bomar sights, they have interchangeable front sight blades. I have an extra bomar sight for the 6" bbl's, keep it around just in case & almost bought the rare 4" bomar sight last year. Now I wish that I did.

These pistols are way too much fun, I feed mine a steady diet of cast 148gr hbwc's.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Kind of neat how that front sight is set up.

I like it: kickin' it old school.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Super jealous, looks like a ton of fun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice, what's the bbl length?

I have a 10-6 with a 6"bbl & my brother has a 14-3 with a 6" bbl. Both run flawlessly with federal primers. Both revolvers also have bomar sights, they have interchangeable front sight blades. I have an extra bomar sight for the 6" bbl's, keep it around just in case & almost bought the rare 4" bomar sight last year. Now I wish that I did.

These pistols are way too much fun, I feed mine a steady diet of cast 148gr hbwc's.

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/model10hbwc_zps04bc7625.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/model10hbwc_zps04bc7625.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is a cool setup you have. I know PPC is not very popular any more. But these PPC revolvers are still kicking around and usually pretty cheap. They are so much fun at the range. They shoot like a big solid 22 with a bang instead of a pop.

I want mine to work with any primers not just federal. So i am going to try some Wolf mainsprings and see how it does. I am also going to see if someone shortened the strain screw. I am a little undesided on how to fix the front sight. I might actually glue or epoxy something to it and trim to find the right height. Then i know what i need before i start milling on the sight bar.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Sweet looking gun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:24:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I understand, using ammo that has to have only 1 kind/type of primer in it is a real pain, keep wolf springs around myself.

There are other ways to keep the trigger pull down & the power of the springs up. I have used these 2 products with excellent results on triggers for 6 years now. A dremel tool with a cloth buffing wheel & jb bore paste to smooth all the meshing/moving parts (including the springs) & a blow drier to heat the metal parts to allow the moly to get into the pores. They've been using moly in allot of different industries, anything from autos to the 8x longer life drill bits. Most people target the da trigger pull to 7.5lb , polishing the parts will get you around the 7# mark & still allow the spring hit with enough force to ignite any primer. Treating the parts with moly after polishing will easily get the trigger down into the 6#/ 6#+ range. You pistol should already have the parts polished. It's just something to think about while you have it apart.

Don't know if it will help you at all but in the past I borrowed a design from a russian pistol for a replacement front sight. It's a utilitarian design but it not only is it functional but they are easily made and mount to an existing front sight. I actually made several height/widths of interchangeable blades, it was a huge + & got extra $$$ in my pocket when I sold the firearm. I got the idea from the russian 10m target pistol.

The front sight on these is nothing more than a flat piece of steel held in a slot by a single set screw.

The blade can be any height/width, it doesn't look like much from the side but it's easy to pick up & put on targets.

When I used this version of a front sight I didn't mill/cut a slot in the existing sight. Instead I drilled 2 holes in the face of it. Tapped the top 1 for a screw & put a pin in the bottom 1. When I made the sight blades I simply drilled the same 2 holes in them, they were held on the sight by the screw & the pin held the sight from shifting moves. It's simple, you're not altering a $100+ sight & having a full set of sights for anything will not only be a hoot at the range. It will add value to that fine revolver you have.

Good luck with whatever you do & enjoy your range time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Yay!  A S&W 10 thread that is a revolver!  I click on active threads & most times I'm expecting to see blued S&W revolving goodness & instead see a .308" : (

My brother has my grandda's factory reblued 5" S&W Model 10.  Deep S&W blued goodness.

Nice pistol, OP.  If you get your mainspring to go bang every time, I'd think about removing the rubber stopper @ the least before using it as a nightstand gun.  And check the flash from the muzzlebrake @ night - it will be very loud indoors w/ suitable blood pressure medication.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice gun! I've always like those PPC revolvers.
I have a Mod 10-8 as well and its one gun I would never get rid of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top