Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 10:56:46 AM EDT
I have a .22LR nine-shot revolver made by NEF. Model R92. I bought it new many years ago.

The spent casings jam themselves into the cylinder. Enough so that I cannot push them out by hand. I have to hit the extraction mechanism against a piece of wood or something to force them out.

I cleaned the chamber and that didn't work... I took a .22 LR brass cleaning brush, chucked it up in a drill and slowly polished the cylinder and it still sticks.

I don't know what could be causing this... is it fixable? It's a decent little gun besides this problem...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#1]
When the gun is unloaded and the cylinder swung out, does the ejector rod operate freely?  Any binding?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#2]
No binding at all. That mechanism is fine.. the casings seem to be expanding and sticking in the cylinder.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Polish the chambers with some Flitz and a power drill. Polish that thing to a mirror shine.

The brush may be causing small abrasions which may or may not be what the brass is getting caught on.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
My Pop had a High Standard Double Nine that was of similar metalurgy and quality.  His did the same thing, along with case splitting.  Look at your chambers with good lighting and magnification.  They are probably eroded.  

Hint:  A pawn shop will still buy it for about half of the original cost.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Might also trying to lightly oiling the chambers as well. This will keep them from being dry & perhaps smooth the ejection process.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Use a .25 caliber mop and some Flitz or Simichrome metal polish and polish them to a mirror shine.
Worked great in my GP100.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll try polishing it again and some lube but I bought some time...

I bought a Ruger SP101 .22LR tonight for the time being.

But I'll try those recommendations to get it going again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Never oil cylinder chambers this will make it worse for best revolver extraction chambers must be dry.
Has it done this with multiple brands of ammo?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never oil cylinder chambers this will make it worse for best revolver extraction chambers must be dry.
View Quote

Never had an issue with a lightly oiled chamber & extraction......................    
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Never had an issue with a lightly oiled chamber & extraction......................    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1. I do it all the time. I have an old Charter Arms Pathfinder with the same problem.  Helps a lot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had the same problem with an older H&R revolver with a swing-out cylinder (which is probably pretty much the same as yours).

The chambers appear quite smooth, though I guess they could be undersized.

Anyway, I take a well oiled boresnake with me when I shoot it and periodically clean and lube the chambers.  That seems to help quite a bit.

You might also want to consider trying standard velocity ammo, if you haven't already.

Actually, what also really works nicely is using .22 Shorts.  However, nowadays they are pricey and hard to find.

When things start getting really sticky, I've loaded only six rounds instead of nine, which also helps.

While certainly not a Colt or S&W, H&R's (and NEF's) are surprisingly decent little revolvers for the price.  It's a shame they're no longer made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top