Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2013 8:45:55 PM EDT

I'm trying to move out of my comfort zone for gun work.  I'm happy and comfortable with Beretta 92s, Glocks, ARs and a little bit of Sig rifle stuff.  I've got a project Norinco 1911, but I'm wondering if there's a seminal reference for revolvers.  I can do vidjas on YouTube, but I do like to have a dead tree book to at least read while I'm in bed or on the couch.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#2]
"The Custom Revolver" by Hamilton Bowen.  Only available for Kindle or Kindle for Apple devices on Amazon.  You can find copies of the printed book but they are generally one to two thousand dollars depending on condition.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#3]
This depends on what you want.
Are you wanting information on gunsmithing revolvers, shooting revolvers, or just general info on what's available?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (3rd Edition), Supica & Nahas.

It is the S&W bible.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Cunningham's book is rather basic, but that sounds like that's exactly what you're looking for.

I was going to suggest Taffins' "Big Bore Sixguns" until I noticed it's going for over $100 on Amazon!!  (Apparently I better put my copy of it and of Bowen's book on my non-lending shelf!)

Taffin does have some interesting (and free) reading at his website:  http://sixguns.com/
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the one I always wanted to buy at the book store.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (3rd Edition), Supica & Nahas.

It is the S&W bible.
View Quote

Very good book. While I look more for Colts, I bought one due to some of the older S&Ws I ran across that interested me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't believe I forgot this one... "Sixguns", by Elmer Keith.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This depends on what you want.
Are you wanting information on gunsmithing revolvers, shooting revolvers, or just general info on what's available?
View Quote

Shooting and working on are the main interests.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Ended up with:

The Snubby Revolver by Lovette
Book of the Revolver and Defensive Revolver Fundamentals by Cunningham.

Thanks everyone!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top