Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2013 11:04:13 AM EDT
So i have a 1917 that was my great grandfathers.  He was a small arms instructor for the army during WWI.  His has a short barrel and I have never seen another like it.  I'm guessing it was cut down by someone at some time but whoever did it did a really good job.  So good that i'm not sure if it's stock or not.  Has anyone ever seen a short barrel 1917?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The 1917, whether Colt or S&W was built with a 5 1/2 inch barrel and nothing else.

It's common to see these surplus guns with barrels cut down.  Back in the day, they were cheap and plentiful and lots were cut down to snubby guns, often as short as 2 inches, although they usually cut them long enough they didn't have to shorten the extractor rod.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
How short is short?  

I think someone posted a custom one on here or 1911forum.  So yeah, I've seen one.  Love to see yours!!!  
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Seen lots of them cut down over the years.  Even seen one cut down as a Fitz special.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen a few.  My avatar is a pic of one I took off the net.

M1917's used to be dirt cheap and commonly modified.  Same for the S&W's.  I even bought a S&W Brazilian contract 1917 for $150 with the intention of cutting it down. I just couldn't bring myself to do it,  It was just in too nice of condition to bring myself to do it.  I need to find a Colt or S&W that's already done so I don't feel bad about it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#5]
My SW1917 is still one of my favorite guns.  After almost 100 years, the bluing is still gorgeous.

Would love to see yours.....Pics?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top