Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 6:12:39 AM EDT
Hey guys, I got a chance to pick up a nice 4" 44mag 629-1.  I havn't seen it in person, going to look at it today.  Is there anything I need to look for on this particular gun or any revolver for that matter? I know about checking the cylinder for play, but is there anything else?

Also, he is asking $600 which includes a Diamond D Guides Choice chest holster, is that a fair price?  The Holster alone is $150 new.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Do you mean 629????

Pull back and set the hammer and then push the hammer forward. If it goes off, the sear surfaces are probably beyond repair.

Excessive gas cutting on the top strap is another bad deal.

I am not that familiar with the dash and years, but keep in mind that Smith and Wessons lifetime warranty started a particular year. Older guns are not covered.

I bought a 29 that was worn out, and found out these things the hard way. Luckily I got my money back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, yes 629-1...

I'm not buying a mazda
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Do you mean 629????

Pull back and set the hammer and then push the hammer forward. If it goes off, the sear surfaces are probably beyond repair.

Excessive gas cutting on the top strap is another bad deal.

I am not that familiar with the dash and years, but keep in mind that Smith and Wessons lifetime warranty started a particular year. Older guns are not covered.

I bought a 29 that was worn out, and found out these things the hard way. Luckily I got my money back.

Thanks, I'll check for this, not sure on date....I'm thinking mid to late 80's
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Fine gun but the -1 doesnt have the endurance package upgrades found in the -3 and 4 have. It may still have the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder which is + but im not 100% sure. Either way its still a pre lock at a fair price.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The 629-1 is the first model that is NOT pinned and recessed.  It also lacks the endurance package as mentioned above.

Still, it's a great revolver, I just wouldn't subject it to a lot of heavy loads.  And that is a great price.  Let me know how you like that chest rig, I'm considering one for my S&W 500.  I'm going to get either a Double D or a 7x chest rig.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The 629-1 is the first model that is NOT pinned and recessed.  It also lacks the endurance package as mentioned above.

Still, it's a great revolver, I just wouldn't subject it to a lot of heavy loads.  And that is a great price.  Let me know how you like that chest rig, I'm considering one for my S&W 500.  I'm going to get either a Double D or a 7x chest rig.

Thanks for the info guys....I went ahead and bought the pistol.  

I tried on the chest rig today, absolutely love it. Its adjustable to where you can wear the holster in front like usual chest holster or can move it and wear under the arm.  Well made too, gun sits nice and snug.  Don't own any other chest holster to compare to but I really like it
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The 629-1 is the first model that is NOT pinned and recessed. It also lacks the endurance package as mentioned above.

The 629-1 is a fune handgun, but it has less value because it's not P&R likes the collectors want, and it doesn't have the endurance package that the heavy caliber guys need.

I had to buy a 29-4 because nothing older than that would have been acceptible with my shooting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The 629-1 is the first model that is NOT pinned and recessed. It also lacks the endurance package as mentioned above.

The 629-1 is a fune handgun, but it has less value because it's not P&R likes the collectors want, and it doesn't have the endurance package that the heavy caliber guys need.

I had to buy a 29-4 because nothing older than that would have been acceptible with my shooting.

Is it FUN or FINE?  Mine is both <G>

Just kidding, I fully agree with you.  My 629-2 Mountain Gun only sees mid range loads, I save the full power stuff for my other Smith 44's that all have the endurance package.  I would do the same with a 629-1 and only run mid range loads thru it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top