Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2012 5:39:22 PM EDT
Anyone know about pricing Webleys? Local Pawn shop has one. Some spotting, piece missing from one grip. Feels sound.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Shaved cylinder or original? Check the pawl and ratchet for wear... can take a pounding if shot with .45ACP.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I am interested in this as well, one popped up in a shop in my area.  Actually, two different shops

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The lowest price that I have seen for an "uncut" Webley MkVI was $804 on Gunbroker (I dropped out at $600). The highest that I have seen listed was $1800 but there were no takers. You can find 4 or 5 "cut" Webley MkVIs for every uncut example. There are many cut Webleys listed for about $700, but you can probably get one for $400 if you look around. I personally wouldn't do that - the "cut" Webleys were adapted to shoot 45acp in moon clips because .455 ammunition was not available in the US after the war (WW2). At the time people knew that the 45acp cartridges had to be loaded with a light charge to match the pressure of the original ammunition used in the Webley MkVI. The original ammunition fired a 265grain bullet at 650fps, this required much less energy than the 45acp would deliver to propel a 230grain bullet at 900fps. However, what do you bet that over the last 65 years most of the cut webleys have been fired using full strength 45acp at some point? 45acp develops 25,000psi chamber pressure which is almost a proof load for a Webley MkVI (30,000psi), and 67% more than the normal Webley pressure of 15,000psi. Over time this kind of abuse might result in cracks in the cylinder. There have been instances of Webley MkVI cylinders failing catastrophically.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The lowest price that I have seen for an "uncut" Webley MkVI was $804 on Gunbroker (I dropped out at $600). The highest that I have seen listed was $1800 but there were no takers. You can find 4 or 5 "cut" Webley MkVIs for every uncut example. There are many cut Webleys listed for about $700, but you can probably get one for $400 if you look around. I personally wouldn't do that - the "cut" Webleys were adapted to shoot 45acp in moon clips because .455 ammunition was not available in the US after the war (WW2). At the time people knew that the 45acp cartridges had to be loaded with a light charge to match the pressure of the original ammunition used in the Webley MkVI. The original ammunition fired a 265grain bullet at 650fps, this required much less energy than the 45acp would deliver to propel a 230grain bullet at 900fps. However, what do you bet that over the last 65 years most of the cut webleys have been fired using full strength 45acp at some point? 45acp develops 25,000psi chamber pressure which is almost a proof load for a Webley MkVI (30,000psi), and 67% more than the normal Webley pressure of 15,000psi. Over time this kind of abuse might result in cracks in the cylinder. There have been instances of Webley MkVI cylinders failing catastrophically.

Interesting, I never knew that about the old Webley MkVI's that were adapted to the .45acp.

OP, I haven't seen one for sale in over 10 years so I don't know about current pricing.

If I could find one in the original .455 caliber I'd buy it instantly if it wasn't way overpriced.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Like has been said, if it has a cut cylinder, $500, but be very sure it is still in good condition as far as timing, and check for cracks in the frame latch, or worse one that has been welded up because of a previous kaboom due to firing 45 ACP factory loads in it.  The latch can stretch too.  

If it has an original cylinder, anything under $1000 is a good price.

Be aware that Webleys may seem loose to those used to modern American revolvers.  Check the cylinder lock up with the trigger all the way back. But don't dry fire it!!!  Lower the hammer with your fingers while holding the trigger all the way to the rear.

Sadly, many Webley revolvers have been blown up by firing them with 45 ACP factory loaded ammo.  

Also, they have no real forcing cone, so lead projectiles are a must if you reload for it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone load .455 Webley?

Supposedly the one coming to me has an original (uncut) cylinder.  I can cast .454 sized bullets so I would think they should work OK in the Webley.

The velocities and pressures are as sedate as they come.  

Hell, I wonder how safe they are.  You could shoot the revolver, go downrange to check your target and then be in deep trouble when the bullets finally arrive.  They only go ?625fps? at the muzzle?
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Still probably potent enough to ruin someones day I would imagine. You got pics????  
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:38:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Still probably potent enough to ruin someones day I would imagine. You got pics????  

Not yet, will post when I do.

Now I need one of those Pritchard bayonets for the Webley revolver.  And a lanyard in case I drop my Webley in the muck at the bottom of a shell hole.

WWI must have been a barrel full of laughs for a pistol bayonet to seem like a swell idea.

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I paid about $550 on gunbroker for my nickel coated Webley, original calibre.

You can find .455 ammo sometimes, but it usually is about $1 a shot. One of the few times I have thought about taking up reloading.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I paid about $550 on gunbroker for my nickel coated Webley, original calibre.

You can find .455 ammo sometimes, but it usually is about $1 a shot. One of the few times I have thought about taking up reloading.

Reloading is a mixed bag.  In my experience you don't end up saving money necessarily, but you do get to shoot a lot more.

I shot purchased 9mm FMJ rounds for the last decade as job/parenting/household duties have limited my time.  Now I am dusting off my .45ACP, .44 Special, .45 Colt (and soon .455) and getting them back into the rotation.  Cast bullet loads are wonderful to shoot and they are about as inexpensive as shooting 9mm FMJ rounds used to be.

If you get into reloading buy a single stage press and see if it is for you or not.  If it is, buy a progressive press.  You will end up using the single stage anyway for things like decapping, loading oddball ammo (like .455!), etc.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/pistol-ammo-455-webley

Ammunition To Go has Fiocchi 262gr. loaded ammo in your caliber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top