Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2012 2:50:49 PM EDT
Someone posted a link to a 686 for sale on Gun Broker. I would like to find a set of grips like the ones seen on the gun...anyone know where/how to get a set of these grips?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/desmodue944/grips.jpg
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]
No, but if you find out, post it. I'd like a set for my model 13.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Since they appear to have the Smith & Wesson logo on them, I think they would have came from S & W as a licensing fee would likely have to be paid for someone else to sell them. Whether they are still available or not IDK.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
That was my first guess as well. S&W said the grips were not theirs. They haven't made their own wood grips in decades, I have sent queries to two grip makers, one that I know supplies wooden grips to S&W and one that I have been told does or did at one time. The search continues.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
They are made by Altamont for the limited edition guns created for Talo Distributing Inc.  Altamont does not offer them for sale as far as I know.  Pairs show up once in a while on the auction sites.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I think these were used on some Performance Center revolvers.  S&W has used their standard grips and added checkering and a logo for limited runs of PC guns before and I'm guessing that's what they did here.  The shape of the grips look very similar to these, less the checkering and logo.  They came directly from the S&W site here

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:58:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Ah well, c'est la vie. At least Hogue has some nice ones sans the S&W logo. I have always liked Hogue grips, have owned

several.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you asked Larry Davidson?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:23:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Never heard of him until now. Site is being redone, but I did not see anything but semi-auto and knives. I did put it in favorites though.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Never heard of him until now. Site is being redone, but I did not see anything but semi-auto and knives. I did put it in favorites though.

Send him an e-mail or give him a call.  His site has been like that forever.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, from the grip makers that I sent inquiries: 1. Altamont: No response yet   2. Kim Ahrends: "Not our grips"

Talo and/or Lew Horton have no interest in suppling parts. They simply offer "special" guns commisioned from the manufacturers.
I'm sure the grips came on Talo/Lew Horton guns made by S&W who inturn commisioned the grips from one of the grip makers (probably Altamont)
I'm still hoping Altamont will send a reply and say they can sell me the grips or their standard K frame round butt combat grip with a similar checkering pattern.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They are made by Altamont for the limited edition guns created for Talo Distributing Inc.  Altamont does not offer them for sale as far as I know.  Pairs show up once in a while on the auction sites.

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/6627125325/9547734/acf6da4.jpg

I thought they looked kinda like Altamonts, but didn't see them on their website. Maybe that's why.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought they looked kinda like Altamonts, but didn't see them on their website. Maybe that's why.

Yes, they have the same shape as the grips Altamont calls "Smith and Wesson K Round Combat Oversized Finger Grooves" At first glance it would seem that they just added the checkering and the logo to those. I was fairly certain they were not Ahrends grips, as Ahrends uses the actual exotic woods, i.e. if he calls them Rosewood they are, not rosewood color stained birch...which is what the grips shown on the 686 appear to be.

The checkering adds a certain visual appeal, i do realize it doesn't add any real functionality. If the search comes up empty, I will probably buy the Ahrends "Tactical S&W Round Butt Finger Groove" in oil finished Moradillo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#13]
There was a thread quite sometime back in which it was confirmed Altamont was the maker of those grips for the Talo guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top