Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2002 8:11:53 AM EDT
I am a die hard 1911 fan but have become interested in revolvers. I have a Smith 686 but I would like to get a .22 as well. The Smith 617 seems to be the obvious choice, but I have heard the quality of these revolvers is not the best. Does anyone know if the quality issue is true, or just more Smith bashing? What would a knowledgeable revolver user suggest for me?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

ARH
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never had a poor quality Smith and despite all the disagreement over smith and their company policy I still buy Smith revolvers.

When I was more on a budget and couldn't afford a smith gun I went with Taurus and have half a dozen. I recommend them highly if you cant afford a smith. Taurus has a 9 shot 22lr. revolver that is a great plinker and trail gun. It is accurate and trouble free, all for around $250. Ruger also makes a great little 22lr. revolver the SP101 in 22lr. a bit small but still a good gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am a die hard 1911 fan but have become interested in revolvers. I have a Smith 686 but I would like to get a .22 as well. The Smith 617 seems to be the obvious choice, but I have heard the quality of these revolvers is not the best. Does anyone know if the quality issue is true, or just more Smith bashing? What would a knowledgeable revolver user suggest for me?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

ARH

Look for an old Model 17 S&W. You'll be happy, your kids will be happy, your grandkids will be happy, your great grandkids will be happy, ...
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks DOCPIG, and sig_230.
I appreciate your assistance.

ARH
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like the Smith revolvers they are solid, good quality, and accurate piece, that being said the funnest .22/.22mag revolver I have is a Ruger single-six--I take it you are looking for double action though.  Smith also makes a neat little auto (422, I think).    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top