Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2011 4:31:57 PM EDT
I want a carry gun and am looking at the Model 60 with 2 1/8 barrel in .357.  I'll be shooting mainly .38 +P.  Does anyone have any experience with this revolver?  Lets hear the good, the bad and the ugly.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been carrying one for ten years in a CHEAP Uncle Mikes holster. IWB forward of my right hip. I have tried to replace it three times and always go back to it. It is accurate at the range you will most likely use it and it is stainless.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry one quite a bit in my front pocket in a cheap holster. I have shot standard 38,+p and Magnums, reloads and new through it. I didn't buy the magnum to carry 38's so I carry 125 magnums. Recoil is brisk but not unmanageable with the 125's 158's sting. I did put Taurus grips on mine as they are small enough to conceal but offer a good grip that covers the back strap.Be aware as I have read and my Chonograph confirms that .357 magnum out of a short barrel is about the same as a good 9mm. The noise and fireball are much more impressive though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 4:38:15 AM EDT
[#5]
If you plan on shooting 38+p then forgo the extra cost, weight, and leanth of the 357 gun and get a model later than the -7 the 60-7'd cylinder was heat treated making it safe for 38+p so is any model made after 96 when the -7 was introduced.

model 60s are great guns and have an added benefit.  The short barrel gives little purchase if a grab should occur Ayoob has found the small J frames are the hardest to lose should a crook attempt to grab the gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 5:09:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I just booght a 642 for carry, but plan to but the 3" model 60 next for the house and range.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info guys!!  I'll post pictures when I finally get one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two model 60's (.38spl) for both my wife and daughter. Great little pistols, a little heavy which helps tames the recoil. I bobbed the hammer on both of them for DA only.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Although it's not a Model 60, I have (and carried for a few years) an M649 in .357. They're good guns and it should last the rest of your life if all you plan to shoot are .38+P loads. Accurate, reliable, durable.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with the above post about getting an alloy frame if all you shoot will be .38+P. Sure, the alloy frames are lighter and somewhat easier to carry, but .38+P out of a steel J Frame is pretty much a pussycat to control. A little snappy, but not bad at all, nothing like an alloy framed gun. Although the steel frame is heavier, there's a lot to be said for the controlability  of a steel framed snub. If all you have is 5 shots, it makes sense to have a gun that's easier to shoot so you can place those 5 shots where they will count. Of course, if you plan on pocket carry, the alloy frames win, hands down. In a pocket, I find that the steel framed guns tend to print pretty badly and weigh the pants down enough to be uncomfortable after a while.

I found that, with good 125gr and up .357 loads, the J Frame is almost uncontrolable. I found that, with Boot Grips anyway, I had to regrip the gun after every shot, it was twisting and torqueing so bad in my hand. Wasn't too bad with the Winchester 110gr .357 load, but they aren't the best for shooting bad guys with, either. Would be doable with bigger grips, but for my uses, if I went to bigger grips, I might as well move to a bigger gun.

Overall, I'd rate the steel J-Frames as good concealed carry guns, as long as you practice enough to get good with them and place your 5 shots with care. Myself, my needs changed, so I went back to carrying my Glock 26, but when at home and not going out anywhere where printing is a concern, I still occasionally drop the M649 in my pants pocket and feel comfortable with it.

Bub
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top