Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2011 5:10:46 PM EDT
Found one locally, and like the fact that its a no lock gun. I beleive the price is $370 + tax. Anyway, how do they shoot?
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine is amaznigly accurate for a 1.875" barrel.  Granted, I'm maybe 15-20' from the target.  You might look at the Pro Series.  Last I checked Bud's had them for $384.00 with free shipping.  The Pro Series has a stainless cylinder cut for moon clips, but you don't have to use them.  I think the stock number is 178041.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Been my BUG for the last 2 years. A joy to carry all day long, not so much fun when shooting +Ps
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
any of the j frames even steel ones are hard to shoot due to the overall small amount to get a grip on and short sight radius. It is more a function of the shooter and shooter/gun interface more than anything. from a machine rest they will shoot about as well as any S&W revolver (which means it will put all but the most refined modern autos to shame!)
They can be shot well but it requires lots of practice and experience with a wheel gun.
I can hit a steel idpa shaped target without difficulty at 100 yards with my late 60's era model 36.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Lightening up the trigger pull also helps accuracy a bit, when you are taking your time target shooting.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my new production no-lock 442, except for one thing, THE GODDAMN FUCKING SHITTY ASS EXCUSE FOR A FINISH Smith put on the cylinder.  One summer's worth of carrying the thing AIWB in a Fist Kydex holster with regular care yielded a cylinder which is looking pretty piss poor.

If I would've known about the rust issue, I would've gotten a 642.
*FWIW, I've carried a handgun nearly every day of my life since 2005.  I've never had an issue with one of my guns rusting until this one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 642 no lock that I bought new over the summer as my summer gun. My shoots very well, but being such a light gun, I never shoot more than three cylinders through it during a range session. It hurts the web of my hand after awhile. At bad breath distances, the gun is very accurate and it is a joy to carry. $370 is a tad high. They go for $340 in my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#7]
They shoot well but similar to other small light guns they require some practise to get the hang of.

The sights and grips  are small but way way better for me than most of the small semi auto guns.

After some consideration I choose to carry standard 38 sp hp ammo instead of the +P type.

I shoot plenty of heavy recoil pistols and revolvers but with the small grips I find I need to shift my grip after most every shot
when using the +p . With the standard 38sp I can just crack off a series of accurate aimed shots. I would rather have the extra power but will settle for accurate aimed fire

I find the airweight to be an excellent pocket carry which is the best bet for my situation and the power of 38 is better than the 380 and 32 guns that would fit in my pocket
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to own a early 90s production 442 and had it for over 15 yrs before I traded it.  Picked up a 442 Pro last year and love it.  I used to shoot mine out to 100yds with Federal Nyclads 125 gr JHPs standard pressure.   This is the round I still carry in my new one.

I only had the new one on the range a few times in the last year due to being deployed.  Should be given it a good workout again next week and it will by my pocket carry gun.

CD
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine shoots really well. I have actually purchased 2 442s in the last year for my wife and I.  Both have shot really well and came with the sights regulated perfectly.  My bet is that S&W has been making these a long time, so they seem to have the formula down.  

When I bought my wife's I took it out to a steel range and was able to knock over rimfire sized turkey's at 50 yards.  I was so impressed I just had to get myself one too.  It did exactly the same.  

I went to the range for a little practice with mine today.  At 21 feet it can put a full cylinder into one ragged hole when I'm practiced up. When the bullseye is used up, just shoot another hole in a random place in the paper, try and bisect that hole with the front sight and continue firing bullets into the same place.  

I would consider it luck if it had just been one factory specimen, but two different randomly selected specimens having identical performance has at least more statistical significance than a sample of one. haha

Now Im really in the market for a new no-lock 342 with fiberoptic or tritium sights, a 642, and just about any other revolver S&W finally decides to produce without the lock.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love my new production no-lock 442, except for one thing, THE GODDAMN FUCKING SHITTY ASS EXCUSE FOR A FINISH Smith put on the cylinder.  One summer's worth of carrying the thing AIWB in a Fist Kydex holster with regular care yielded a cylinder which is looking pretty piss poor.

*FWIW, I've carried a handgun nearly every day of my life since 2005.  I've never had an issue with one of my guns rusting until this one.

Replace it with a titanium cylinder. Got mine from Numrich for about 60.00, lighter and no rust. I was lucky, mine dropped right in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Replace it with a titanium cylinder. Got mine from Numrich for about 60.00, lighter and no rust. I was lucky, mine dropped right in.

Thanks for the tip.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Found one locally, and like the fact that its a no lock gun. I beleive the price is $370 + tax. Anyway, how do they shoot?

M37 - 38spl only
M637 - 38 +P
M640 38+P
M640  357-38
M649  357-38

Every single one shot the same as far as accuracy goes
158gr SWC HP AT POA / POI
ragged holes at 7y

Also my fixed sight k frame M13 shoots the 158gr at POA/POI

Got adjustable sights on my M19 & M686

So Far I havent ran into a BAD S&W

and thats counting semi auto 5906/6906  4006
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I carried a 442 for 2 years and never had a rust problem.  I sold the gun for a profit because I didn't like the lock. I felt naked without it so I ordered a no lock 442 from Buds for $361 delivered. I feel like I have my pants on now.  They shoot great for what they are. It's no 25 yard target gun (at least for me) but it would do what I would want it to do. 10 yards it is good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top