Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2011 12:25:02 PM EDT
I picked up a 1975 Colt MK III Lawman in .357 today that was caught in a fire. I'm going to fix this bad boy up as much as I can, but I have a question on frame design. Specifically, are the frames different between the 4" and 2" barrel models? I ask because all of the 2" guns I've seen have a round butt frame with the 4" and 6" have squared. Did Colt redesign the frame for the 2" or did they simply round the butt on existing square frames?

I really like the style of the round butt frame found on the 2" Lawman and if the factory simply rounded off standard frames than I would like to do it to this pistol. I'll get some pics up of it as it is now before I start messing with it when I get the chance. I'm really looking forward to this project since this will be my first Colt.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If it burned enough to kill the grips I would be really leery of the possibility of heat treatment problems with that revolver. How bad was the fire it was in?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If it burned enough to kill the grips I would be really leery of the possibility of heat treatment problems with that revolver. How bad was the fire it was in?

I probably should have been more specific on the fire part. The only real damage to the pistol is pitting and cosmetics. The springs all still function fine as they should and the pistol didn't have any grips to begin with (according to him). Still, I'm going to take it to a machine shop and it tested for hardness, which I'm positive it will be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top