Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 6:31:22 AM EDT
My older S&W model 686 (no dash) has a missing crane screw.
I tried a screw from another Smith model 10 but it didn't wanna go and I didin't want to force it. I wonder if these crane screws are hand fit for each gun?

Can get one for my 686?

Thanks Much
 VonBarky
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The model 10 is a different frame...dunno if that would make a difference.  Brownells has factory S&W parts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The cylinder retention screw on the older S&W revolvers is a hand fitted part.
Many people mistakenly switch the retention screw with the lower side plate screw.  Since they "look" just alike they get the wrong screw in the hole.

The screw is fitted by carefully stoning the end until it just barely misses touching the bottom of the slot in the cylinder yoke.  
With the screw tight, you should feel no drag on the yoke, but the end should be almost in contact with the slot bottom.

Any older style "K" frame front side plate screw will fit the threads, but make sure you get a new one so you can fit it to your specific gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The cylinder retention screw on the older S&W revolvers is a hand fitted part.
Many people mistakenly switch the retention screw with the lower side plate screw.  Since they "look" just alike they get the wrong screw in the hole.

The screw is fitted by carefully stoning the end until it just barely misses touching the bottom of the slot in the cylinder yoke.  
With the screw tight, you should feel no drag on the yoke, but the end should be almost in contact with the slot bottom.

Any older style "K" frame front side plate screw will fit the threads, but make sure you get a new one so you can fit it to your specific gun.

Thanks alot, I'll get a few screws. I think I can properly fit one.

VonBarky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top