Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2011 11:15:33 AM EDT
Does ruger do this?

Other recommendations?

eta:  Nice, comfortable, target wood grips?  The redder the better.

The gun came with a Pachmyer (a bit thin) and what appear to be the original small wood grips.

eta2: pics

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, Ruger will refinish it.
They'll probably do it cheaper than most places, they'll do it RIGHT, and since it's a factory refinish, the value of the gun isn't lowered as much as a non-factory job.

Contact Ruger for instructions on how to get it done.  
Looks like a revolver re-blue is about $130 which is cheaper than any other good refinish service.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
cool, thanks.

they say a turnaround of 1-2 weeks.  $130 for the service and $30 for shipping
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Just remember it will be the same crappy blue that it came with.  I like Rugers as much as the next person, but their blueing is and always has been crap.  Great guns, built like a tank.  But lousy blueing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
General rule of thumb is a refinish usually only works out if the gun has sentimental vlaue and you want it to look "nice"

To refinish any historical piece will make it "nice" but will wreck most of the historical or collector value.

The $160 seems a decent deal with little risk (the factory job will almost certainally be decent) but you have to ask yourself if a refinished used gun
will have a value that is $160 higher than a working shooter with a poor finish?

In other words , if you looked around for the same model used with a good finish could you pick it up for something less than the value of your used gun with the poor finish +$160)

Guns are similar to cars , the value of any example does not go up the same ammount as any add ons that someone puts into that gun/car

(a $3000 used car with a $1500 stereo and $1500 of wheels isn't worth $6000)
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Its just going to be a keeper.  Besides I don't think a Security Six has collector value per se lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
pics added
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Bro, i must be missing something.  Did you post the wrong pics?  That gun looks good.  Save your money and buy $130 worth of ammo.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Bro, i must be missing something. Did you post the wrong pics? That gun looks good. Save your money and buy $130 worth of ammo. Enjoy!

+ but I say a reloading kit (if you dont already) and the factory wood grips Ruger is offering.

ETA:

http://shopruger.com/Attic-Treasures/products/565/
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bro, i must be missing something.  Did you post the wrong pics?  That gun looks good.  Save your money and buy $130 worth of ammo.  Enjoy!

well the body is essentially plum and the barrel/trigger guard dark blued

Quoted:

+ but I say a reloading kit (if you dont already) and the factory wood grips Ruger is offering.

ETA:

I have reloading gear and components.

Those grips look good.  Can I stain them a bit redder?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]
You would need to strip them and then refinish.  Chemical strip is you best bet but if you are not used to it I would check out Eagle Grips.  They might have something you like.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

well the body is essentially plum and the barrel/trigger guard dark blued

Quoted:

ETA:

I have reloading gear and components.

Those grips look good.  Can I stain them a bit redder?

That's called age and it looks good on firearms. You will lose value and IMO it will look worse if you reblue it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#12]
That blueing is  pretty clean for a Ruger of that age.  I wouldn't touch it.  Gains you nothing in value, may actually cost you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it looks just fine, better than mine.  

Before I would sink that much money in a blue job, knowing how fragile a blue finish is, I would consider adding a bit more to get a more exotic finish.  Hard chrome or electroless nickel come to mind.  There are other possibilities, also.

My Security-Six has some of the same purple tint that I see on yours.  I don't mind it at all.  Of course, it was the first revolver I ever bought.  Never did find any thing but Pachmayrs that felt comfortable.  Still tight after 34 years of shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top