Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 5:36:25 PM EDT
I know most, if not all 357s will chamber a 38 spl, but:  How do the three stack up against each other for recoil, stopping power, and the other important factors in a small carry gun--2-3" bbl?  Reason is that my state requires qualification with caliber AND action for any CCW guns, so if I buy a 357, I can qualify with 38 also, just don't know if I really need a 357, or will +P do the job?  Please feel free to speak loudly, I am a revolver newbie.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:21:11 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can qual with more than one caliber, it would probably be a good idea to just borrow as many different caliber guns and get it on your permit.  Then you can choose what you want to carry withou being too restricted.

I use .38 special +p, and I'm comfortable with that.  I just shot that ammo (to rotate it out) in a three-gun match this weekend and had no issues with recoil.  It was more than what I parctice with, but not enough to make any difference.  I've shot the snubbie .357's and they were just a little too much for me, and I like to practice with something similar to what I'm carrying.  I know I'm not going to shoot .357 out fo a 2" enough to be good with it.  .38's I shoot out of it every couple of weeks.  A 3" barrel isn't too bad though.  My daily carry is a 2" Colt Detective Special.

I'd say you're fine with .38+P, but I'd rather have the options open for other calibers.  Borrow some guns and get it done.  

Ross
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Ross, the idea to borrow is already in the works, I was just wondering what the word was like as far as .357 mag and .38 +P.  Sounds like I might just go with +P from the posts I've read and talking to other gun owners here.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#3]
In terms of ballistics, there is a significant difference between the .38 +p and the .357 mag.  I shoot all 3 loads out of my revolver and it is almost like shooting a different gun going from even the hotter +P loads to the .357 magnum cartridges.

This info was taken from the Remington website - there are a lot of different sources for this info, but this is a pretty good guideline and really demonstrates the differences on paper.  

.38 spl +P 125 grain JHP     Muzzle Velocity = 975 fps    Muzzle Energy = 264 ft/lbs

.357 mag 125 grain JHP       Muzzle Velocity = 1450 fps    Muzzle Engergy = 583 ft/lbs

Obviously, there are a lot of other factors that go into caliber choice for a carry weapon such as confidence in the caliber, ability to handle recoil, muzzle blast, noise, etc. that go beyond velocity or energy.  Personally, I would not subject my hand to the torture of shooting full house magnum loads out of a 2" snubbie, nor would I feel confident that I could hit anything with it past 5 yds.  I shoot a 4" revolver and the recoil is very manageable in that size, but it doesn't make a great carry gun.  This may be more info than you wanted.  Hopefully it helps out some.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top