Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 2:40:32 PM EDT
In the interest of cutting down on the number of calibers I have to deal with, I started thinking about 9mm revolvers.  I believe that both S&W and Ruger produced these at some point.

Can anybody comment on these, what models they were, and how come the idea did not last?  Was it the half-moon clips that sank them?  Any contrast / compare between S&W and Ruger revolvers in this caliber?

I should say that I own and enjoy .45 acp revolvers by both Colt and S&W so the idea is not totally foreign to me.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If memory serves neither used half moon clips.  I thought the extractor had a special spring arrangement that negated the need for the clips, but its been awhile since either has been made.  And a long time since I've seen any.  

If I recall Smith did a K frame 3" barrel.  Ruger did their's on the GP 101 frame I think.  Neither ever really sold well, at least on this side of the pond.  The was also the short lived Charter Arms/9mm Federal but that one completely fizzled in the market place.  

The 9mm revolvers didn't really do anything that  38 Spc or 357 Mag version couldn't do and the "regular" versions didn't require the added complication on the extractor.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a ruger with a 9mm and 357/38 cyl.

I don't really shoot it, it was a gift from my dad some time ago.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:40:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Ruger did the sigle action Blackhawk in .38/ with a 9mm cylinder .357.  With the rod exctractor, no clips were needed.

Ruger did the Service-six and Speed-six in 9mm.  These required the clips to work.

Ruger did the SP-101 in 9mm.  This also required clips.

Taurus makes the 908?, which is a small-frame, 5-shot.  It requires clips.

Smith and Wesson did the 940?, which was a J-frame, 5-shot.  It required clips.

Smith and Wesson did the 547, which was a K-frame with a special extractor that didn't require clips.

I own a 3" 547 (they came in 4" as well).  There's really no difference between the 547 and a model 13 other than caliber, special grips on the 3", and a special hammer (semi-bobbed).  The extractor is a unique design that allows it to work on rimless cases.  Other than that, it's the same as any other K-frame.

Power wise the 9mm sits between a .38 spl +p and the .357 mag when in a revovler (based on chrono tests with same type guns in different chamberings, and doing the math for energy).  Recoil is in the middle as well.  Accuracy is supurb with the 9mm.  Some say it's because of the efficent bullets used in a 9mm, or the efficient case size, I dunno, but mine drives tacks better than it has a right to.  S&W revovlers are usually no slouches in the accuracy department, but my 547 is exceptional.  Other 547 owners I've talked to have had similar results.

There is a great variety of 9mm ammo you can take advantage of, since you don't have to worry about cycling an action, and there's a wide variety of 9mm made, because of it's popularity in autos.  Reloading it can be interesting as well, again because you don't have to worry about feeding.  The 9mm case is very short compared to the .38/.357 and extracts completely with ease in even small revolvers.  Much better than a .357 case does.

It seems back asswards to put a 9mm into a revovler, but it's really not a bad choice.  Better performance, than a .38, wider selection of ammo, and easy extraction in even belly-guns.  I think they lack popularity because people can't mentally make the jump to using 9mm in a revovler.  Botht he Ruger Service/Speed-six and S&W 547 were originally built for European police use.  The surplus was simply sold off here, but never took off.  However, anyone who actually has one seems to like the arrangement very much (including me).

I think alot of people figure they would only want a 9mm if it were hi-cap, otherwise they'll take a .45.  To put a 9mm in a six-shooter doesn't make sense to them, but in reality it makes more sense than using a .38 in some cases.  Except for the 547, and the Blackhawk, you have to use clips, and clips can be more difficult to manage no matter what caliber it is.  That's a big strike against it's popularity.

I'll probably buy a 4" 547 to go along with the 3" someday (but they aren't cheap).  I've given serious consideration to a 2 7/8" Ruger 9mm, as they are much cheaper.  I think I'll probably try out a Taurus first though, as it's still in production and the 9mm in a snubbie is pretty hot.  

9mm in a wheel-gun sounds odd, but it's a pretty nice set-up actually.  If you are in the Tidewater area, or are going to the BRD, let me know and you can shoot mine and see what you think.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a S&W 940. Actually a really nice package. With high-performance loads, I use Federal 135 gr. Hydra-Shocks, it actually recoils less than a friends 640 in 38 spl. Performance-wise, it's close to the .357 mag guns in power, but I don't feel as if I've been hit in the hand with a baseball bat when I shoot it. Controlability is excellent. As far as the moon clips go, most people carry revolver reloads in a speed loader anyway, so that's not an issue. Reloads are very fast. It's actually a thinking mans carry gun. It is a different concept, but it does make sense.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I always wanted one. I'm always looking for down-loaded magnums so a 9 would be perfect. If S&W started producing a full lug K or L frame that doesn't require clips, I'd get one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend who only has the use of one arm.
I was thinking a 9mm revolver with moon clips would be good for her as far as reloading speed would go.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]
i have a ruger sp101 3 inch barrell. i had the hammer bobbed an action job and i put houge rubber grips on it. it is a five shot and uses full moon clips. it reloads very fast as you just dump the whole clip in. i like it alot ,so much i sleep with it under my pillow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, all,  for your thoughts.  This is one of those things that keeps nagging at me (just put in a call to Greentop in the off chance they had a 940 hanging on the board) so I guess I'll just keep looking for one.  Maybe the gun show in Richmond in October...

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks, all,  for your thoughts.  This is one of those things that keeps nagging at me (just put in a call to Greentop in the off chance they had a 940 hanging on the board) so I guess I'll just keep looking for one.  Maybe the gun show in Richmond in October...

940's are tough to find, but very rewarding when you do. such a simple solution to a complex problem.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#10]
If you check www.gunbroker.com there is an S&W 940  w/3 inch barrel up for auction.  Buy it now price is 499.  Don't know what the reserve is (probably around 450).  Item number 23000659.  I've never been a fan of hammerless revolvers but that one looks pretty neat.  Don't know if it's what you're looking for but thought I'd let you know.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a S&W 940. Actually a really nice package. With high-performance loads, I use Federal 135 gr. Hydra-Shocks, it actually recoils less than a friends 640 in 38 spl. Performance-wise, it's close to the .357 mag guns in power, but I don't feel as if I've been hit in the hand with a baseball bat when I shoot it. Controlability is excellent. As far as the moon clips go, most people carry revolver reloads in a speed loader anyway, so that's not an issue. Reloads are very fast. It's actually a thinking mans carry gun. It is a different concept, but it does make sense.

Bob

I personally don't have a S&W 940, but I've read that pressures of the 9mm round approches that of the 357Mag round, and when the aluminum framed 940 is fired alot some people experience frame stretching and loss of timing. But, I think this gun is covered under S&W's lifetime gurantee, so that should be a big problem. From what I've read the 940 was also authorized for backup carry for LAPD.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#12]
You might want to check out the Taurus 905.  It's in production now and comes in various versions (hammer/bobbed hammer) and finishes (nickel/blue).  There were several at this weekends gunshow going for around $300.  One was even as low as $219.  They use a clip, which IIRC is a polymer one.

They also have a great warranty, and are good values.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I've fired the 547, Ruger Service Six, and S&W 940.

Given the choice, I'd recommend the S&W 547.  No need for moon clips, extractors work very well.  Accurate, reliable, ability to chamber most any kind of ammo (lead or jacketed bullets).

With the Ruger Service Six in 9mm there was a warning against using exposed lead bullets but I've shot plenty without incident.  The moon clips work best if you buy a dozen or more and load them up ahead of time.  Keep a wooden dowel in your kit, it works great to remove the empty cases from the moon clips without bending them up.  Ended up putting a Pachmeyer grip with the full backstrap to minimize the bite from recoil.

S&W 940 was made in two different barrel lengths.  It's a 5 shot instead of 6 shot based on a J Frame.  If you want to carry concealed the grip from the factory is okay.  Personally I ended up getting a larger Pachmeyer grip, made it much more comfortable to shoot.  Be careful when shooting very high velocity ammo in these revolvers, high pressure loads like the Corbon may bind up the cylinder according to the users manual.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Bob

I personally don't have a S&W 940, but I've read that pressures of the 9mm round approches that of the 357Mag round, and when the aluminum framed 940 is fired alot some people experience frame stretching and loss of timing. But, I think this gun is covered under S&W's lifetime gurantee, so that should be a big problem. From what I've read the 940 was also authorized for backup carry for LAPD.

Dude, the 940 is all stainless steel.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#15]
This might be a very good idea--

J-frame size but a half inch shorter because the cylinder is the length of 9mm rounds not .38spl.

If they make a titanium version I'll have to have one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#16]
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#17]
The 940 is not aluminum framed.  It is Stainless Steel.  I had many problems with extraction being hard.  I sold mine as that is not a good thing for a carry gun.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:07:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The 940 is not aluminum framed.  It is Stainless Steel.  I had many problems with extraction being hard.  I sold mine as that is not a good thing for a carry gun.  

You must have had an early one. Some of the original ones had slightly short chambers, a more semi-auto style chamber than a revolver chamber. I had one of those too. S&W will repair them free, all they have to do is lengthen the chamber a little, bitty bit. My current one is one of the last ones made and has no such problems.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#19]

I think alot of people figure they would only want a 9mm if it were hi-cap, otherwise they'll take a .45. To put a 9mm in a six-shooter doesn't make sense to them, but in reality it makes more sense than using a .38 in some cases. Except for the 547, and the Blackhawk, you have to use clips, and clips can be more difficult to manage no matter what caliber it is. That's a big strike against it's popularity.

The clips can be a pain in the ass, but once loaded they are much faster than a speed loader. At least, that's the case with full moon clips in a S&W 1917.

The 9 mm revolver does seem to make good sense, since it can be shorter than a .38 with better performance. And in guns like the Blackhawk, it offers the ability to use another common type of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#21]
So who makes the 9mm revolvers?

I see Taurus .  Who else is in current production?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top