Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2011 10:34:58 PM EDT
A buddy has an older Smith and Wesson .357 and he is unable to open the cylinder, it will rotate and dry fire however (thank god the gun is unloaded) i tried troubleshoot over the phone but had no luck so i wanted to pass it along here. camera pic hopefully gets the job done. He was able to open the cylinder until recently and it has not been fired since it stopped working. Thanks

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Model 27 that had that problem occasionally. I found that the ejector rod would come unscrewed and effectively "lengthen."

The end of the ejector rod is hollow, and the rod is held in place by a spring-loaded pin. See if you can depress this pin with a tool of some sort.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
On older Smiths, the ejector can begin to unscrew and catch.  You may need a gun smith.

ETA: What FrankSymptoms said.  My experience was on a Model 28.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Tell him to get a piece of heavy paper or very thin cardboard (like the stuff they use to fold a new dress shirt around, etc) and cut off a piece narrow enough to slip through the frame 'window' on the bottom of the cylinder. Slide the paper back until it pushes down the cylinder stop. Hold the muzzle end of the efector rod with a finger as best he can while he turns the cylinder. Because the gun is older, it may have an extractor rod that screws on clockwise rather than counter-clockwise as do S&Ws made after 1960-61 but it really doesn't matter for this...just turn the cylinder one or the other direction until he feels the rod start to spin with the cylinder. Push thumbpiece...open!

This.

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tell him to get a piece of heavy paper or very thin cardboard (like the stuff they use to fold a new dress shirt around, etc) and cut off a piece narrow enough to slip through the frame 'window' on the bottom of the cylinder. Slide the paper back until it pushes down the cylinder stop. Hold the muzzle end of the efector rod with a finger as best he can while he turns the cylinder. Because the gun is older, it may have an extractor rod that screws on  clockwise rather than counter-clockwise as do S&Ws made after 1960-61 but it really doesn't matter for this...just turn the cylinder one or the other direction until he feels the rod start to spin with the cylinder. Push thumbpiece...open!

Excellent advice.  I would be willing to bet that is the problem.  If you look at the picture posted by the OP the pin at the front of the ejector rod housing appears to be sticking out pretty far.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
On older Smiths, the ejector can begin to unscrew and catch.  You may need a gun smith.

On ALL Smiths.  Older ones had right-hand threads, newer ones have left hand threads which helps prevent the problem, but it can still happen.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you try this fix yet?  Does the cylinder release push in, or is IT stuck?  I had a 686 that hadn't been cleaned since Clinton was in office, and I had to push the cylinder release WAY hard to break it free.  After getting it cleared and opened, I tanked it and took it apart, now it works beautifully.   That's what 20 year old Hoppes and carrying it in a salty air environment will get you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top