Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2004 3:59:38 PM EDT
After deciding QUITE some time ago (about a year) on what .44 mag I wanted, I finally have it... AND WHAT A GUN.  I'm not thing but impressed!

I had personally never shot a .44 mag before, so I was a little unsure of what to expect.  I was almost sold on the Raging Bull, then Taurus' other .44 mag, then after consulting many of you on here, I found the Super Redhawk was it.

Auto's are fun, and .357 packs a punch, but nothing gets the adrenaline running like this bad boy.  I am thouroughly impressed with my purchase, especially with everyone's "Why do you need THAT" junk.  

The first day I took it out to the range I had a guy drooling over it.  I gave him a cylinder full and let him run through those.  It's such a head turner, cause when you light one of those off, EVERYONE knows it.

Well, I thought I would give some feedback as I promised many of you (Markbo for one) that I would.  I'm really impressed, and I hope it holds up as everyone claims they do.  At first I couldn't visualize how a pistol caliber could "shake a gun apart" as many of the cheaper brands sometimes do.  But after unloading a box of .240gr. that day, I understand.  

Now I can't wait to get on my 550B and mix me up some more!

So thanks again all of you for your help (if you remember who you are ), made for a GREAT purchase.  

Gundraw
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
They respond really well to trigger jobs, too. Consider better sights, too.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking foward to a Redhawk 44 5" some day myself.  That, and a 45-70 guide gun.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my SRH in the .480 Ruger.  It is my hog gun, and a very effective one at that.  I put a cheap-ass NCStar 2x scope on it, just to see if I would like a scoped handgun.  Oddly enough, it holds up well under the recoil and holds its zero.  
As much as I like it, I have to say that the SRH is a big.... ugly.... gun.  Nothing pretty or elegant about it.  Outstanding!  Kind of reminds me of "John Wayne" toilet paper.  Rough, tough, and takes no shit off...........well, you fill in the rest with what you like.    
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#4]
How dare you call the SRH an ugly gun!!

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Manintan- You think the SRH is ugly??

I think it is sophisticated blend of contemporary double-action and the classic single action look.  The trigger is MUCH better than I expected, and as you say, it's one tough gun.  I was completely happy with my purchase, from every aspect.  

Everyone has their opinion.  I never liked the look of almost ANY single action.  To each his own.

Gundraw

P.S. So Jason, how has your SRH treated you?  Nice scope, and nice grips BTW.  I've flaunted with the idea of sticking a cheap scope on such as manintan spoke about.  

Edited to add: It seems we have much of the same taste in firearms.  I noticed you are a Win. 1300 fan as well  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#6]
manintan-

You say that NC-star is working out for you?  How much did you pay for it?  Any problems at all?

Like I said, I would like to scope it off and on just for fun.  Not for hunting or anything.  

Thanks,

Gundraw
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]
GunDraw....my fellow Kansan...

Maybe "ugly" was a strong word to use.  Mine has the target grey (?) finish, which is practical for hunting purpose...ie...low glare, easy upkeep, it's not pretty.  When I think of a "good looking revolver" I picture a S&W 686, Colt Python, Ruger Blackhawk or original Redhawk.  The SRH that Jason has posted is a better looking gun, to me, than mine.  Nice finish, fluted cylinder (the .480 is non-fluted) and a good set of grips.  What are those grips by the way?  The SRH is built for business and I have no complaints in that regard.  I have no real complaints on the look, I guess I just don't find it "sexy", and that is OK.  My deer rifle is a Savage 110 in the 300 RSUM.  Damn sure nothing pretty about it, but it performs just fine.
As far as the NCStar scope is concerned.....for around 40-50 bones on ebay it is pretty good for the money.  Especially if your just testing whether or not you like a scope on a handgun or playing around with it.  Seems to hold its zero, even atop the bigbore.  I would like to have that Leupold glass Jason has on his!    
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
manintan - Yes, a fellow Kansan indeed, I didn't even notice that.  Hello, not many of us on these boards ya know!  They are doing a tally right now in our hometown forum, check in!

I forgot that the 480 ruger didn't have a fluted cylinder.  I played with a Target Gray SRH in 454, and it was definitely different, but I see what you mean, they are a little more "rugged" and not quite as "refined" in terms of looks.  Mine is the same model Jason has shown, of course without the grips (or the nice scope )

Yeah, I might have to give that a shot.  I'm really liking the gun however.  I'd certainly like the glass Jason has as well, but I doubt I'll ever see anything like that adorning my SRH.  That NCstar you speak of is closer to what I'd be interested in paying for.

Thanks for the input!

Gundraw

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have owned several heavy recoiling pistols, and I have been very surprised how they were able to hold their zero.   I had a cheap 2x Tasco on a Contender chambered in .35 Rem, and the crosshairs never moved.  I also had Simmons on another .44 and never had a problem with it.  The main thing is to make sure the scope is mounted in a good set of rings.  Of course, you can't get much better than factory Ruger rings!  

The grips on mine are rubber Hogue grips, and I have put them on just about every revolver I have owned.  The factory Ruger grips are simply a little too fat, and the Hogue grips fit my hand perfectly.  As far as scopes, the Leupold is definitely a nice scope.  However, I have had very good luck with Weaver pistol scopes and Simmons Gold Hunter or Trophy pistol scopes, which cost about half as much as the Leupold.  Its really difficult to compare glass on a 2x scope, especially one with such a long eye relief.  

I have always liked the look of the SRH's.  There is simply something satisfying about a big, solidly built revolver (especially knowing it can handle pretty much anything you can stuff in to the cylinders).  If I had a choice, I would prefer having a .44 SRH with an unfluted cylinder like the .480, but I don't know if it is a factory option.  

GunDraw, my gun has been very accurate and I have been impressed.  I have tried a few handloads, and it really likes Lil' Gun powder. I'm working on a few loads for deer season, so I will be using 240gr XTP bullets.  Here is a pic of one of my 25yrd targets:

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Figured I should post a  few pics of mine also, its all stock with about 700 rounds through it...

As you can tell, this is my bedside gun, Im half deaf as it is so I figure if I ever use it in the house I wont be hurting myself nearly as much as I would my target.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#11]
That does it...I've wanted a .44 mag for a while now...didn't quite want the SBH, but the SRH looks like "just" what I'm looking for. Woo Hoo!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That does it...I've wanted a .44 mag for a while now...didn't quite want the SBH, but the SRH looks like "just" what I'm looking for. Woo Hoo!

For what its worth I can shoot hot loads in .45 LC out of my .454 with about the same velocity and energy as a .44 mag load.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For what its worth I can shoot hot loads in .45 LC out of my .454 with about the same velocity and energy as a .44 mag load.

Fact is, if Elmer Keith had better brass, we'd all be shooting .45 Magnums instead of the .44 Rem Mag!  The old Colt cartridge is a very capable round, and a handloaded .45 Colt load will beat a .44 any old day of the week.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Fact is if you are shooting 45 Colt through a SRH you can use loads intended for the 5 shot conversions, which will kick any 44 Magnums ass.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]
 Try a 300 grn jfn 44 mag for deer. And you talk about turning heads at the range
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I shoot 240 gr. Hornady XTP-MAG's whenever I show people my SRH.  1900 fps out the muzzle, 1900 ft lbs energy, and it kicks like a mule.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#17]
 300grn jfp 44mag srh any day!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top