Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 2:09:40 PM EDT
Any recommendations for model and caliber? The only thing I am set on is that it must have a 6 inch barrel with a full length underlug and that it must be able to have a scope mounted to it without any special work.

I am hoping that I can get one that will work for game as small as squirrel but also work on cottontail, groundhog, prairie dog, skunk and maybe coyote as the largest animal. Can one caliber do this or am I going to need to get two guns? I know shot placement is vital but would like to have something that is multipurpose.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd look at Ruger's single actions if I were you.
One in 22 LR with a 22 mag cylinder should do just about anything you want except for larger game.
Another in 357 mag with a 9mm cylinder conversion might be another good way to go.

ETA Look here for the 22 convertible.

Look here for the 357/9mm convertible.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Six inch full underlug with an easily mounted scope limits you to, well, nothing that I can think of.  The underlug barrel will be a Smith 617, but I don't recall ever seeing one already cut for scope mounts.  Also hard to find and usually pretty spendy when they do show up.  I don't believe Smith offers a mag cylinder anymore.

Ruger Single Six with convertible cylinder is probably your best bet.  No underlug and it will require some effort to scope.  

If you really want to scope it, a auto loader is your best bet.  Ruger or Browning, take your pick.   Both offer models already cut for scope rings.  No magnum tho (not that its really needed for small game).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been looking around and found this:
Taurus .17 HMR Tracker revolver
It has everything I am looking for, the scope mount is not integral but is a customer bolt on mount that only costs around $50.00. The only thing I am leery of is that it is a Taurus and I have not heard good things about the auto pistols they make. How does the .17HMR perform out of a pistol? I have seen som epretty impressive results posted before and am thinking that it would be a good compromise on what I was wanting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have been looking around and found this:
Taurus .17 HMR Tracker revolver
It has everything I am looking for, the scope mount is not integral but is a customer bolt on mount that only costs around $50.00. The only thing I am leery of is that it is a Taurus and I have not heard good things about the auto pistols they make. How does the .17HMR perform out of a pistol? I have seen som epretty impressive results posted before and am thinking that it would be a good compromise on what I was wanting.

Forgot about Taurus, and I even own three of them.  May want to post in the Taurus forum.  

If memory serves, bottle neck catridges can have issues with revolvers, but I don't recall the specifics.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]

I have one of these.  Awesome gun.  I mated a Leupold 66620 2.5-8 scope to it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I did some ballistics research and between that and the info Ameshawki posted I am now looking real hard at Taurus tracker .22 magnum. I dont really think that I will be shooting this over 100 yards much and the site I looked at showed the .22mag with more power out to that distance. I looked on the Taurus board on here and from that and a quick Yahoo search it seems that the QA is spotty. I plan on looking the pistol over real good before I purchase it so hopefully I can spot any QA isues before it is even bought. Since the Taurus has all of the features I want and no one else makes anything even close I guess I will get one and just be prepared to work on/send to the smith to get it up to snuff.

Thanks for the help
Omni
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been eyeing a BFR 22 Hornet for that role, and in Texas centerfire is the only requirement for game animals so its all good just wish I could have a Bisley conversion for it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I did some ballistics research and between that and the info Ameshawki posted I am now looking real hard at Taurus tracker .22 magnum. I dont really think that I will be shooting this over 100 yards much and the site I looked at showed the .22mag with more power out to that distance. I looked on the Taurus board on here and from that and a quick Yahoo search it seems that the QA is spotty. I plan on looking the pistol over real good before I purchase it so hopefully I can spot any QA isues before it is even bought. Since the Taurus has all of the features I want and no one else makes anything even close I guess I will get one and just be prepared to work on/send to the smith to get it up to snuff.

Thanks for the help
Omni

IMO You're making a mistake. Don't buy the Taurus.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Ruger in .327 Federal
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Six inch full underlug with an easily mounted scope limits you to, well, nothing that I can think of.  The underlug barrel will be a Smith 617, but I don't recall ever seeing one already cut for scope mounts.  Also hard to find and usually pretty spendy when they do show up.  I don't believe Smith offers a mag cylinder anymore.

Ruger Single Six with convertible cylinder is probably your best bet.  No underlug and it will require some effort to scope.  

If you really want to scope it, a auto loader is your best bet.  Ruger or Browning, take your pick.   Both offer models already cut for scope rings.  No magnum tho (not that its really needed for small game).

S&W has drilled and tapped the topstrap for scope mounts since the 90's or so.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

.....Ruger Single Six with convertible cylinder is probably your best bet.  No underlug and it will require some effort to scope......

Here is a scope mount from Midway for the Single Six:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=778854

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone, I went to the funshop today and ended up walking out with a NIB 22/45 target. The price was right and it came with a scope base from the factory. I couldn't get the 5.5 inch version but the 4.5 4.0 I got should be fine. I am still going to get the .22 mag sometime in the future but now I am looking at it as a gunsmith special gun and something that will be a work in progress. I like to tinker so maybe if I get a good Tracker and use my redneck gunsmith skills I can get it to run, it should prove interesting and fun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Ruger in .327 Federal

yes
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Ten shot S&W 617, with 8 3/8" barrel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top