Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2010 2:44:46 AM EDT
Hey guys been thinking of possibly removing the lock from my S&W 360PDs.....not sold on the idea 100% yet but thinking about it.  To all who have performed this mod.....is there a plug or something for the hole on the side?  I thought I saw a thread somewhere on this.

also if anyone can recommend a good smith in FL(Tampa area would be great)  that can do this I would be greatful
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:30:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the information on the plug that I believe you were looking for: S&W Forum Plug Thread

This is not that tough to do with a good set of screwdrivers so you don't mar your revolver.  Search on YouTube and you will find a video of the whole process.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have mine done by Karl Sokol @ Chestnut Mountain Sports.

He does great work and is a really good guy.

He has built three 1911s for me that are the only 1911s I'd trust my life to (not to say that Wilson, Nighthawk, etc... don't make quality)

He has also tuned and/or customized ober a dozen revolvers for me.

As a general rule I always have him do at least a lock removal, mirror polish trigger, and XS front night sight on my J-frames.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
hmmm I am not a member of that site so I can not view it.....can anyone post a pic?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

hmmm I am not a member of that site so I can not view it.....can anyone post a pic?

Try here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have mine done by Karl Sokol @ Chestnut Mountain Sports.

He does great work and is a really good guy.

He has built three 1911s for me that are the only 1911s I'd trust my life to (not to say that Wilson, Nighthawk, etc... don't make quality)

He has also tuned and/or customized ober a dozen revolvers for me.

As a general rule I always have him do at least a lock removal, mirror polish trigger, and XS front night sight on my J-frames.

Glad to hear that!  Got a Hi-Power I'll be sending him.  Now I might have to send a traveling companion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I removed the lock from my 442 a few months ago, using the instructions on the S&W Forum listed above. I bought the plug from Bullseye Smith on the forum. It's a fairly straight forward procedure, but get a screwdriver set that fits, not the beat-up, crappy old Sears screwdriver from the bottom of your tool box.

All my other Smiths are pre-lock versions. If I were to buy a new Smith, lock removal would be the first priority. I have a safe and lock up my guns. I don't need a babysitter.

I could probably take a picture or two of the finished 442, if anyone's interested. If you've seen one, you've seen them all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I removed the lock from my M638. Was quite easy and this video sure helps when your doing it the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

You need to go slightly further than what the video suggests but its easy at that point.

The plug comes with a small clip to keep it on but I found reusing the locks spring/tab that kept the lock in will work fine for the plug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top