Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 4:46:16 AM EDT
Fella's,

I have read of several of you disconnecting the mag safety on your SR9's and would
like to do the same with mine.

How do you do it?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#1]
They post that stuff here?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm hoping so, yes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

why wouldn't they?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

why wouldn't they?

Because disabling any mechanical safety on a defensive firearm is just stupid.

Don't like a particular feature, get a gun that does not have them!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
A magazine safety is a solution to a non-existent problem. Why else do some auto
pistols have them while others do not? The P95 I traded in on my SR9 did not have
one, and it is made by the SAME company.

I like this Ruger product, and I will like it even more without the magazine safety connected.

Once again, does anyone know how disconnect the magazine safety on a SR9?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
A little googling brought up the following thread - http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=52057

It says that
NOTE: the Mag DC was designed by Ruger to be removable by you the owner/user. It has been speculated that removal could hurt you in Court if you ever had to use the SR9 in a Self/Home Defense case. It hasn't been used to our knowledge yet and may never be used. I have mine removed, IMHO removal of the Mag DC does nothing to any normal operational features of the gun, making it no more or less safe a weapon than it was from the factory. If I plan to use the gun, I'm going to use it, and store it to my own accordance with regards to my personal safety. I doubt any Lawyer will see things my way, but Gun Safety is Common Sense stuff, if you can't handle that, you shouldn't be looking to modify ANY part of your weapon. I accept ZERO responsibility for the misuse or neglect of your SR9 in EVERY situation it is used. You, the end user, are solely responsible for the safety of yourself and others around you.

How valid the statement is I do not know.

I hate mag safeties.  I removed the one out of my only so equipped gun, a Megastar.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:07:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A magazine safety is a solution to a non-existent problem.

Lol, wut?

I guess you are lucky that you've never rolled around with a guy trying to take your gun away from you

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, wut?

I guess you are lucky that you've never rolled around with a guy trying to take your gun away from you

Which is why all SIgs, H7K's, Glocks, XD's, and M&P service pistols come equipped with one from the factory...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, wut?

Which is why all SIgs, H7K's, Glocks, XD's, and M&P service pistols come equipped with one from the factory...

No, but S&W's, Walther's, Browning HP's, and a few others do.

SEE!!!!  You have CHOICES.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, wut?

What is all this?

I came over to the Ruger sub-forum to get some INFORMATION, not some unwanted advice and snide comments.

I thought this was a Tech Forum.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, wut?

What is all this?

I came over to the Ruger sub-forum to get some INFORMATION, not some unwanted advice and snide comments.

I thought this was a Tech Forum.

And your technical answer is that it is inherently unsafe to modify or remove a safety feature from a firearm.

Best regards,

Nationwide

Certified Glock and AR15/M16 Armorer
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Nationwide, Sir,

Thank you for your advice; it has been most illuminating and thoughtful.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fella's,

I have read of several of you disconnecting the mag safety on your SR9's and would
like to do the same with mine.

How do you do it?

I'm a certified Ruger Armorer for their P-Series pistols. I haven't had a chance to get my cert in the SR-9 ut it's a easy way to do it....

Magazine Disconnect Removal How-To

I will take you from a Field Stripped SR9 to a Stripped Slide with or without your #18 Magazine Disconnect in place. For this, aside from your Field Stripped SR9, you will need a utensil for compacting the #19 Striker Cover Spring by pressing the #20 Striker Cover Plunger. For this procedure I used a mini-plug off of an old headset, not the 1/8" plug size, but the much smaller one, it worked perfectly. Anything under 0.100" (1/10th of an Inch) should fit, Paper Clip, Bobby Pins, etc.....

Step 1 - Getting Acclimated to the Parts.

Locate the #17 Striker Blocker, #18 Magazine Disconnect and the Metal Tab on the #22 Striker itself. These are pointed to by the 3 Brass Rods, in order I listed from Left to Right in the photo.

Step 2 - Setting the Striker for Removal.

Press the Magazine Disconnect (Referred to as Mag DC from here on out) and while holding it in, push the metal tab on the Striker as far as it can go in, you shouldn't see the tip of the striker on the breechface as the Striker Blocker is doing it's job, blocking the striker. Release the Mag DC and press in the Striker Blocker, again while holding the Striker Blocker, push the Striker as far as it can go, you should now see the tip of the Striker in the Breechface.

Step 3 - Striker Cover Removal.
Once the Striker is clear of the #21 Striker Cover, take your small diameter tool and press the #20 Striker Cover Plunger as far in as you can make it go. You while doing so you should try to slide the Cover off towards the bottom of the Slide. Once you get it moving you can stop pressing the Plunger and continue to slide the Cover off. The Plunger and it's Spring can fly out, but I haven't had them jump out of the Slide yet. The Spring is stuck inside I figure.

Step 4 - Striker and Mag DC Removal.
Remove the Striker from the slide, you may feel some resistance from the Mag DC applying friction against your removal of the Striker. It should come right out. Be careful when you get the Striker past the Mag DC as the Mag DC can jump out, nothing crazy but it can startle you, it did me my first time at this.

Step 5 - Slide Assembly.
Reinsert the Striker, be sure to press the Striker Blocker like before to set the Striker as far forward as possible. Then press in the Cover Plunger and re-install the Cover. Insert your Barrel and Guide Rod Assembly and your done after you re-assemble your pistol Slide to the Frame.

Congrats, you have just removed your Magazine Disconnect from your SR9.

NOTE:

If your looking for a lighter trigger, I DO NOT suggest you take a pair of cutters to your striker spring. I know it's stout but it was designed that way with an intent. Cutting springs weakens them but also can shorten their life. Do this the wrong way and you can break your Striker Spring Cup or Striker Shaft (both plastic pieces).

If you're adventurous and want a lighter/smoother trigger, I do suggest you try polishing, it's more work but safer if done patiently and with care, your trigger will feel much better than just lopping spring coils. I compare these two methods to food, Cutting springs is like a TV dinner, its quick and easy and only leaves you somewhat satisfied. Polishing parts is like cooking a nice thick steak, it takes longer and more effort is required to get it right but you should really enjoy the final product.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why wouldn't they?

Because disabling any mechanical safety on a defensive firearm is just stupid.

Don't like a particular feature, get a gun that does not have them!

Nationwide....

I carry a GLOCK on duty. As a LEO I'm not a fan of the magazine disconnect. Proper firearm safety is your responsibility. Not the firearm's.

A proper holster, proper officer safety, and thinking is what keeps you safe.

My training and mode of thought is that a mag disconnect is a bad thing. I can have my magazine fail but still have a round in the pipe. I can eject the magazine and still have that one round to defend myself and others. Yes..... this is a very small event and the possibility of it ever happening is slim to none. But I'll take every advantage that I can in a fight.

As for removing the magazine disconnect from the Ruger SR9 isn't a bad thing. Ruger designed the pistol with this in mind because they knew that many customers don't want a liberal influenced design in the firearm. Some States mandate that you have to have a magazine disconnect. Some don't..... Florida doesn't so we have a choice and we don't need to worry about this stupid trigger locks, magazine disconnects, load chamber flags, etc....

Quoted:

And your technical answer is that it is inherently unsafe to modify or remove a safety feature from a firearm.

Best regards,

Nationwide

Certified Glock and AR15/M16 Armorer

As a certified Law Enforcement Armorer for GLOCK, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Remington, and Ruger. You don't know what you're talking about.

Numerous Browning High Powers have had their magazine disconnects. It improves the trigger pull and also isn't a safety issue. Same with the Smith & Wesson 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen pistols.

As for legal issues. In Florida is you use a firearm in self defense and it was a good shoot and you're a legal gun owner. You're good to go. No issue of criminal or civil prosecution in court. The modifying of the firearm is not the issue at all..... Your thinking is what further produces the thought pattern of "Adding a Crimson Trace Grip is illegal for self defense", "Using Hollow Point Ammunition will make you a murderer in a case of self defense", etc....

A firearm is a tool..... no different then a automobile or a air plane.... modifying them in a safe manner is not a safety issue. Same with a firearm. Removing the Mag Disconnect isn't a safety issue.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As a certified Law Enforcement Armorer for GLOCK, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Remington, and Ruger. You don't know what you're talking about.

Big whoop.  I've got LE Armorer cert's too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big whoop.  I've got LE Armorer cert's too.

we get it. you don't like it. now please stop pooping in the thread.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Asked and answred.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top