Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2008 12:58:37 PM EDT
I know, I'm talking about destorying a piece of history. That aside can a Security Six grip frame be cut down to take Speed Six grips like the Eagle Secret Service Grips?
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure I've heard of someone doing that.  It's your gun, people modify/customize their guns all the time.  While they don't make them anymore, they did make a whole pile of them when they were cranking them out.  I wouldn't exactly worry about ruining collector value or anything like that.

I've found the Speed Six grip to be just about the perfect grip for me personally, and I'd be interested in finding out how to get it done.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll let you know how it goes. I don't have the Security Six in my hands yet but I have heard that the serial number is on the bottom of the grip frame, depending on where it is it might keep me from getting it as small as a Speed Six. I like the Tyler T-Grips so I figure worse case scenario I will cut it as small as possible without touching the S.N. and if it isn't quite Speed Six size just have the original grips cut down to fit the frame. I should have the revolver next week so I'll update this post at that time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of each and the serial numbers are the exact same size on both. You should have no problem getting it down to Speed-Six shape without touching the serial number.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have one of each and the serial numbers are the exact same size on both. You should have no problem getting it down to Speed-Six shape without touching the serial number.

Great, that is the info I was looking for!

ETA nice looking revolvers!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Put some round butt grips (speed 6) on your square grip security six and see if they will affect the serial # issue. If not, merely scribe a line around the round grips on both sides of the frame and then preferably file, or CAREFULLY grind, away the excess butt frame material. Place the RB grips on the frame frequently so that you can determine when you have removed the correct amount of material. Note that the grip backstrap is somewhat rounded, so take care not to remove material to the extent that you end up with a flat backstrap. You might not like that.

Hopefully you are dealing with a SS version of the revolver. If so, merely smooth the site where the material was removed with various grades of emory cloth and then blend with scotch brite or similar product. If not SS you will obviously need to have the piece blued.

Not particularly difficult, but one should employ prudence, patience and a light hand in making the change if not particularly experienced in this type of metal modification..
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestions, actually I will have the revolver in my hands next week but I am thinking ahead!  It is blue so it will need cold blue (oxy-blue?) at the least and refinishing at the best. I will see if I can live with the "square butt" before I do anything. This is the 2 3/4" version and I bought it as a carry gun which is why I am thinking about the round butt. I plan on putting a Tyler T-grip and carrying it for a while before I do any surgery. If and when I do modify it it will be under the watchful eye of a gunsmith pal, a man has to know his limitations!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you've made some good decisions. I believe you'll enjoy your Security Six and you'll be hard put to find a more durable mid-frame .357 revolver.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:45:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds like you've made some good decisions. I believe you'll enjoy your Security Six and you'll be hard put to find a more durable mid-frame .357 revolver.

Thanks, I'll post a pic once I get it. I wanted a lighter .357 then the 586 I am carrying now. It was a toss up between the Security Six and a K frame and I thought I would give the Ruger a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top