Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2008 4:08:50 PM EDT
Bought it about 3 weeks ago. First trip to range - would jam the last bullet against roof of barrel. Did it with all ammo shot.
Returned to dealer - he suggested a new magazine. I also read about similar problems on other sites.
Noticed mine had rough machine marks inside barrel. With a dremel and a felt burr, tried to polish area - was only able to "smooth" rings - they still remained.

FF to today at range. ONLY 4 of 6 bullets in magazine would shoot then it would jam bullet in roof of barrel......................aaarrgh!
I guess it is hit or miss. You either get a jem or a lemon - mine was bitter!
Anyways, took it to the dealer today, in light of their "other" recall, it may be a long wait.

A couple of pics of one of the jammed bullets:

I will post results when I get mine back.

BTW, I renamed mine RUGER POS.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear that you are having problems.

I know this is sacrilege in the Ruger forum, but I have had terrific luck with the Kel-Tec P3AT. I also know that others haven't been so lucky, but the 4 I've bought have all been flawless. Well, 1 FTE on the first mag of one of the new ones. I've bought 2 used and those in addition to the other new one have been flawless.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]

The Ruger is such a copy of the KelTec, it even get's the same malfunctions.

Link Posted: 7/2/2008 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
he
So my question is why didn't they learn from KelTec's mistakes?
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No clue, but I've been waiting to see if there was a difference between the two (other than the mag hold open).

Photos of the "smiley" FTF pretty well sums up that the slidelock is it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No clue, but I've been waiting to see if there was a difference between the two (other than the mag hold open).

Photos of the "smiley" FTF pretty well sums up that the slidelock is it.

Actually, the Ruger slide lock open is done by manually holding the slide back and pushing up on the slide hold back button. I do not recall it locking open after the last shot - to load a round you just rack the slide - but the "smiley" was the 5th round in the magazine, the first 4 ran through fine..........?
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
... but the "smiley" was the 5th round in the magazine, the first 4 ran through fine..........?

www.1bad69.com/keltec/smiley.htm

It probably happens more than you think, but the problem isn't bad enough to cause an FTF with a fully loaded mag.

ETA: Gotcha on the slidelock.  Tnx for the correction.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 3:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 for FTFe with .  

Sent it back Monday.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you know the production date of your LCP?

Some guys on my PD just took delivery of 12 of these,

All of these were made in late June.

I did hear that the March production LCPs had toubles.

Two of use went out yesterday and put 10 mags each through our LCPs........without ANY issues or problems.

We were both very impressed on the accuracy and reliability.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Two of use went out yesterday and put 10 mags each through our LCPs........without ANY issues or problems.

Made in June IIRC. One thing I noticed is that the guide rod was chewed up. Looked like it was stuck in it's bore and someone twisted it back and forth while pulling it out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How are you guys checking the date code?  I just picked one up and would like to know which run it came from.  I hear the early tend to have problems and need to go back.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The LCPs are shipped with an expended cartridge in a yellow envelope that has the date of fire on it.  Mine is also in June and has been trouble free........it's the 26XXX range if that says anything.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bought it about 3 weeks ago. First trip to range - would jam the last bullet against roof of barrel. Did it with all ammo shot.
Returned to dealer - he suggested a new magazine. I also read about similar problems on other sites.
Noticed mine had rough machine marks inside barrel. With a dremel and a felt burr, tried to polish area - was only able to "smooth" rings - they still remained.

FF to today at range. ONLY 4 of 6 bullets in magazine would shoot then it would jam bullet in roof of barrel......................aaarrgh!
I guess it is hit or miss. You either get a jem or a lemon - mine was bitter!
Anyways, took it to the dealer today, in light of their "other" recall, it may be a long wait.

A couple of pics of one of the jammed bullets:

i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd45/xbelxatomic/P6300304.jpg

i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd45/xbelxatomic/P6300303.jpg

I will post results when I get mine back.

BTW, I renamed mine RUGER POS.

There have been many reports of the LCP not working well with UMC ammo.
Mine has been good with PMC, Magtech, Win. White Box, and Gold Dots.

How many different types of ammo did you try?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top