Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2001 7:14:46 PM EDT
Is it just me or is the gp100 probably the best home defense and one of the nicest .357's around. I recommend them to any first time buyer looking for a home defense piece. Shoot the .38's for practice and .357's for protection. Simple to operate and easy to maintain..For the record i hate ruger autos but thier revolvers are great..
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Even though poltically incorrect I prefer the S&W 686 and 685 for the home.Can't argue with the Ruger though,it is solid as an anvil.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is it just me or is the gp100 probably the best home defense and one of the nicest .357's around. I recommend them to any first time buyer looking for a home defense piece. Shoot the .38's for practice and .357's for protection. Simple to operate and easy to maintain..For the record i hate ruger autos but thier revolvers are great..

I would have to agree mine has the finger grip rose wood grips very nice pistol. I shot a friends semiauto and did not like it . In my opinion any semiauto that rattles when you shake it will never make it into my safe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The GP100 is a bit heavier than the 686, which can be a pro or con depending on personal preference. I like it's grip better than the Smith, but I like the action of the Smith. If you go to the 686+, now you're talking
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, GP 100 all the way.  Owned one for several years.  Most of my friends have them as well.  Best factory grips on the market.  Accurate.  Built like a brick, eh, house. Yes, triggers sometimes need tuning, but most guns on the market today need that.

Link Posted: 10/14/2001 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Snob  I have owned and used Ruger P-series for years.  They are accurate and NEVER malfunction.  I have Sigs too, but dollar for dollar, the Rugers are great.  Have you ever owned a Ruger P-series?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
i have owned several p,s over the years....and only have 2good day's with them ....the first&
the last.......i always pinch the extra mag when
they leave..........gp100's and blackhawks are diffrent wife says i have a blackhawk hotel they
come in and stay....
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
i agree with the blackhawk. i still have mine and it was my first handgun..what a chunk of solid steel..i love it..
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Larryg..yes i had a p89 and  for the last two years had one of the more modern p series in my safe as a reserve deputy friend of mine was stationed in turkey for his last two years of air force service..i have a lot of rounds thru them and as a firearms instructor for a major l.e. agency i can tell you they don't turn over the kind of scores the other pistols do.(we allow smith, sig,h&k,beretta,glock,and ruger)

And it's not just the shooters..i'm going on averages..the same friend who's ruger i was babysitting just traded it in on a sig .45 and went from someone who could barely qualify to shooting at the expert level. I have shot his gun and it's accuracy sucked..I also have deputies that have had work done to thiers and even a few that have had luck out of the box but after as many as i have seen that don't work like i'd like them too..i would't buy another one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top