Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 1:26:39 AM EDT
It's 3am so I'm making this quick!
I had a chance to test out my new Ruger P95. I shot 400 rounds through it with zero failures of any kind!  Unfortunetly I did test limp wristing it after the 1st normally fired 400 rounds and the P95 does not like to be limpwrised! It jamed it up and also the slide would not lock back on the last round. My SIG 220 and 229 passed this test so I really thought the Ruger would. Firing noramlly though it was 100% reliable! Below are pictures of the groups I got today with the P95. Do these look like good groups for a Ruger? I have always been a SIG and I can get better groups with the SIG's but don't get me wrong I love the Ruger!!! I'm wondering if these groups are on oar for a Ruger or if my gun can do better? I'm wondering because my barrel has a bit of play when locked up and I'm wondering if it is hurting accuracy?

Here are several groups that are around 3 to 5 inches I'm guessing. These are from a rest at 10 yards. Is this on par for rugers at this range?

This is the best group I got which is approx 2 1/2 inches at 10 yards. I can get one inch with my SIG 229 at the same range but the SIG did not cost $350 out the door!

What do you think?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Just bought a Ruger 9mm P95. Friggen wind was blowing 50mph here last weekend when I wanted to fire it.
This weekend has been to busy. Glad yours functioned well. Where is the best place to get night sights for the pistol.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I just bought one yesterday. Went to the coin machine and cashed in enough change to get a MkII, but I decided I'd rather get a more functional caliber even though I couldn't say I paid for it in spare change.

Now I'm in the market for a tac light and grips.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The ruger I've shot did about the same accuracy, about 3 inch groups.

Ruger P series won't normally group as well as Sigs/HKs, but they're alot less.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#4]
10 yards?

fist sized groups around your point of aim?

Looks like a good shooter to me.

Were you rapid or slow firing?  I know the benched group was tighter.

In my CCW class, they said that for defensive shooting, practice at 7 yards, with nothing but a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper for a target.
If your group is super tight and small, you are shooting too slow and aiming to long. If you are over the entire paper (and off the paper) you are shooting too fast and not aiming enough.

Ideally, you should have a fist sized group (4-5 inches) center of your target.

Looks like you were doing that at 10 yards instead of 7.  I'd be happy.

No Expert
Ruger P89, P90, P93 owner
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Took mine to the range for the first time today. Put 50 rounds through it and it seemed to group well, but all shots were consistently high. Dead center, but about 3-4 inches above the point of aim.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Took mine to the range for the first time today. Put 50 rounds through it and it seemed to group well, but all shots were consistently high. Dead center, but about 3-4 inches above the point of aim.

How big were the groups?

I'm trying to get an idea what is normal for Rugers. Mine has some play in the barrel in lock up and was worried it might hurt accuracy. I'm used to my SIG's that I can get 1 inch at 10 yards with and now with this Ruger it's more like 3 to 4 inches. I really like the gun and I hope nothing is wrong with mine getting these groups above. All are from a rest and that is why I'm worried.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Those groups are about on par with  p series rugers. If you look in the back of the your manual there are items ruger will not sell you except on exchange plus cash basis.I was told per ruger this is for lawsuit protection, (broke the extractor on reassembly, hardway to find out). There are parts they also have that are restricted to factory installation only.
They are great shooters out the box for the money. I've had 4 p-series pistols and never had a problem out of any of them other the one extractor I broke.
Another thing you should know they are made of investment grade casting, so more than likely no two pistols are alike. I dropped $200 bucks for a "tune up" on my first one, don't expect drastic improvement on them, unless you can actually get ruger to do the work. I have seen one with a barrel lug installed to help offset the play of the barrel. Never got to see it fired though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]
UPDATE!!!!

Round 2 went even better! I went to the range today to test her out for the 2nd time and I was very pleased! I don't know if I got lucky or I'm just getting more use to this new Ruger P95. These groups were at 12 yards and I was able to get them all on a 2 inch target.

These are several groups I got today with the P95 all are about 1 1/2-2 inches except the center group which is just over 1 inch at 12 yards.

These are my best 3 groups which range from about 1 inch to 2 inches.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Another point to remember which ammo were you using when you got your best group size. When I shoot winchester target in my p89 low and and left,cci blazer high and right, wolf shoots just plain high but dead center.
Do about 5 rounds of each and see what shoots best in your gun. The first time heard this I thought bullshit, after trying this I mainly shoot wolf through my p89 and traded off 400+ rounds of winchester for some different color handguards for my AR.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Jeezuz Krikey!
The 1SG and I managed to torture two profile targets to death with 30 rounds from the p95 at 10 yds. Some here; some there, some in the crotch...  (were' too cheep to buy an m-9)
That group rocks! You is a good pistolero!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Jeezuz Krikey!
The 1SG and I managed to torture two profile targets to death with 30 rounds from the p95 at 10 yds. Some here; some there, some in the crotch...  (were' too cheep to buy an m-9)
That group rocks! You is a good pistolero!

Thanks but remember  as I mentioned in my 1st post this was from a rest. I won't stop till I can get even better groups firing off hand!

How did your P95's perform for you in your test?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I am too ashamed to post a picture of my pistol shooting abilities.
Lets just say that I get the job done with a 9
Somebody said about using regular writing paper as a target. That makes alot of sense and I'm gonna give it a try next outing.

Imagine Danny Glover saying,  "Center'ish mass baby!!!"
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am too ashamed to post a picture of my pistol shooting abilities.
Lets just say that I get the job done with a 9
Somebody said about using regular writing paper as a target. That makes alot of sense and I'm gonna give it a try next outing.

Imagine Danny Glover saying,  "Center'ish mass baby!!!"

i use mostly just targets i print out.  so if i get all my shots on 8.5x11" i figure that is smaller than a torso so i would get all my shots on a torso.  

now just imagine him saying "gut shot baby!!!"
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm going to try the 8x11 sheet of paper too. That sounds like a great idea!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top