Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 8:22:17 PM EDT
I just picked up a new P95DC semi-auto. Got it new for under $350!!!

I was wondering if I should clean out the factory lube before shooting it for the 1st time? It seems like the lube is cosmoline....very thick and smells just like it. Should I break in the gun with it or clean it and relube with Tetra Grease and oil before firing it?

Also I own several SIG's and XD's and I noticed that the barrel lock up on the Ruger is not nearly a tight as the SIG and XD. I can move the barrel a fraction of an inch and make a "click" noise when the gun is in battery/lock up......is that normal for Ruger semi-autos? I chacked a few other Rugers at the store and all seemed to have this play to some extent.

Overall I really like this gun! I sure hope it shoots as good as I hear they do!
Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean.
Lube.
Shoot.
Repeat.

My brother had a KP95DC, and it had the same play in the barrel. You could move it, but it would move right back to where it was before. A friends P89 is the same way.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a P95 also.

I did
------
Clean
Lube
Shoot 1 round.
Repeat 5 Times.

Clean
Lube
shoot 5 rounds
Repeat 5 Times.

Etc through 200 Factory FMJ Rounds.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
when i got my p95d all i did was clean and lube her before i ran 200 rounds down range.  then i went home and cleaned and lubed her again.  rugers are tough military style pistols and you don't need to baby them the way some people do when they break them in.  there is no need to clean after each round or each mag.  but if you want to then that is your choice and you are allowed to do so.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep debatable.  But what is the harm?  Just took the time to show my "Wharthog" a little love.

If it helps, well it helps.  If not, I know it all the better.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger P models are the chevy 350's of the automatic world. Shoot them abuse them and shoot them some more. They'll keep on punching rounds down range as long as you feed them.

I clean mine once a month or so. All the surfaces still look factory fresh except for some holster wear.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:30:17 AM EDT
[#6]
If Ruger would go ahead and price their stuff up in the same range as SiG or H&K, they would start getting the respect they deserve.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:13:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If Ruger would go ahead and price their stuff up in the same range as SiG or H&K, they would start getting the respect they deserve.

but then i wouldn't be able to afford them.  and i would be sad.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1   Keep on keepin on Ruger!

The only change I would like to see them make is sell the 10/22 recivers seperate from the gun.  Then a guy could do 10/22 builds like we do AR15s wihout having to canabolize a whole gun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is my new P95 with the best group I got. How much better are these guns capable of grouping? This group was at 10 yards from a rest.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sarcasm: it's what's for dinner.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:53:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that actually isn't the first time people have said that if they priced them higher people would think better of them.  it is a bit similar to how the xd line sold badly when it was the hs2000 or something like that.  but once springfield stamped their name on it they started selling like hotcakes.  (ok yeah marketing helped too)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that actually isn't the first time people have said that if they priced them higher people would think better of them.  it is a bit similar to how the xd line sold badly when it was the hs2000 or something like that.  but once springfield stamped their name on it they started selling like hotcakes.  (ok yeah marketing helped too)

There's an IFC documentary called "Slasher" (funnier than hell BTW) about selling cars. One of the salesmen makes a comment in there about how you can have a pile of shit just sitting around. No one wants it and no one touches it. Stick a sign in it advertising it for $1 million and everybody wants it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top