Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 7:56:40 PM EDT
are they cast? and if not all which ones or what parts?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
All Rugers are investment cast.  Ruger pioneered the process.  And makes a lot of money doing it for other folks.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]
so you can drop them and they break, wow didn't know that
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If you think you can break a Ruger, have at it.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Do you understand that there is a difference between parts that are designed to be cast (Rugers) and parts  that are cast because it's cheap (Springfield M1As, EA AR lowers, etc)?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you understand that there is a difference between parts that are designed to be cast (Rugers) and parts  that are cast because it's cheap (Springfield M1As, EA AR lowers, etc)?

please tell me the difference, I have the understanding that cast metal is weaker because the grains are not compressed
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
please tell me the difference, I have the understanding that cast metal is weaker because the grains are not compressed

It is. Casting is inherently inferior to forging, but it can be done right.

Parts that are designed to be cast look "clunky" because they have to be heavier and thicker to compensate for the weakness of the casting.

It's when parts that are designed to be forged (M1A bolts) are cast without changing the design that problems occur.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is. Casting is inherently inferior to forging, but it can be done right.

Parts that are designed to be cast look "clunky" because they have to be heavier and thicker to compensate for the weakness of the casting.
that's what I thought

It's when parts that are designed to be forged (M1A bolts) are cast without changing the design that problems occur.ok, I understand

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top