Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 7:17:02 PM EDT
When I was in Alaska last year, there were .480 Ruger versions in several gunshops, but I never saw a .454/.45 - I kept getting told either that A) the .454 was more popular, and therefore always sold out; or B) Ruger wants to push the .480 Ruger, so is making far fewer .454's.

Now, 90% of the time I was happy carrying my 7.5-in .44 Super Blackhawk in a cross-draw holster, but it did get in the way while fly-fishing, and is difficult to wear with a backpack.

Thinking about heading back to Alaska next year for some more serious backcountry fishing than what we did last year, and I'm thinking that the Ruger Alaskan in .454/.45 would be a great, quickly-deployable sidearm for bear country.

Anyone own/shot one?  Thoughts/opinions?

flcracker
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like Ruger just restarted production on the 454 Alaskans because I've been seeing some pop up on gunbroker.com in the last couple of weeks. There are a couple of good reviews on both the 480 and 454 versions at gunblast.com
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought one yesterday at a show.  Haven
I think it would be perfect for the role you describe.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if I would trust a 454 or 480 to stop a big bear, especially out a short barrel. It might kill the bear but will it kill it fast enough so it does not kill you before it wonders off and dies??? I'd opt for a 45-70 or larger in big bear country.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]
A 4 5/8 Blackhawk chambered for the 45 Colt can match the Alaskan and a 5.5 will humiliate it. (at less than 1/2 the price.)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive shot the 480. Nice gun pretty accurate and not nearly as bad on the recoil as I was expecting.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top