Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 1:24:11 PM EDT
I was told in another handgun forum here that the .22 Mark I or Mark II is a good "beginner" pistol.

Can anyone give some good advice? TIA
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have owned several and they have been great.I would try to find a Mark II as opposed to a Mark I as  the Mark I doesn't hold open on the empty mag.
They are fairly large and don't lend themselves to belt carry,but they are great for range use.
Some do not favor the mag release at the base of the grip.
Browning buckmarks are pretty decent.
I don't in general like S&W centerfire semiautos but the rimfires are pretty nice . At the high price end of the scale the S&W model 41s are really sweet target guns with wonderfull triggers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have owned several and they have been great.I would try to find a Mark II as opposed to a Mark I as  the Mark I doesn't hold open on the empty mag.
They are fairly large and don't lend themselves to belt carry,but they are great for range use.
Some do not favor the mag release at the base of the grip.
Browning buckmarks are pretty decent.
I don't in general like S&W centerfire semiautos but the rimfires are pretty nice . At the high price end of the scale the S&W model 41s are really sweet target guns with wonderfull triggers.

How do you mean, hold open?

But Browning is another option?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I own a Mark I as well as several other hand guns (Kimber,Super Blackhawk) and I dont think the Mark I is a "great" learner.  I know when I got it I thought .22 no problem but it was louder than I thought and of couse had no kick...to do over I would start with something in the 9mm range and work up but if you like the feel of a certain model I dont think the recoil should be an issue.  I own the Ruger super blackhawk .44 and it is a fun (single Action) gun to shoot...you can get 44 special roungs that barely kick and also the .44 mag rounds that can give you a good throw...I have shot a ppk 380 and that was easier to shoot IMHO than the Mark I.  I tried the Glock and I just didnt like the feel (I know here come the Glock Guys) but its just my opinion...and you need to take a look at a few different guns...maybe go to a range that will rent you a few to try out...thats a good way to start.  Good luck!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]
It should be a great choice.

I already have handguns and am trying to start practical shooting.

Even I would like to have a good Mark II for cheap practice, plinking, and target shooting.

So now that I don't have one, I am keeping my out for one.  Just after I buy my 9 for practical I will buy one.

Just like a good 10/22 will always be in my collection so will my next Mark II.  IMHO everybody should own 1 of each.

I have heard some bad things about the California jury rigging done on the Mark III.  You might want to check into this before jumping into a Mark III.

Get one.  Enjoy then let us know.  Good Luck.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#5]

I recently got two Ruger Mark III's and they are my favorite .22 pistols.

Skip the Mark I and II and go for the III.  It’s the best of the bunch.

My favorite is the standard model with the shortest barrel and the fixed sights. It also happens to be the cheapest. It’s a blast to shoot and the sights are so fast they beat everything else I’ve tried on steel.

It’s not only a great beginner pistol, it’s a great shooter pistol for anybody.

They come with two mags, but don’t walk out the door with less than five. Better yet, ten.  It’s a blast to put 50 to 100 fast rounds downrange at a time.

This pistol will put a smile on your face.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to agree the MkIII's are pretty good.  Mine's slicker than owl shit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Mk I and a Mk II and Both should be banned!

They're outstanding beginner pistols.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#8]
My 1978 MKI is a great pistol. So smooth. You'll never regret buying any of them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was told in another handgun forum here that the .22 Mark I or Mark II is a good "beginner" pistol.

Can anyone give some good advice? TIA

what happened to you leaving for 2 weeks, i thought you said you coudlnt handle this place anymore?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a MK 2 in stainless with the bull barrel and I couldn't say enough about it. Cheap to shoot , accurate, fun, excellent firearm for either the begginer or experianced shooter. It's the standard that all other .22 pistols are judged against.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The mark II government was the first pistol I bought after my Colt 1911.  I still have it.  The only thing I think I would do different is maybe get the standard weight barrel instead of the bull.  My friend had a Mark I that his uncle gave him.  Very nice guns as well.

It is a little wierd to disassemble but is a better gun than the current brownings.  The smith and wessons are ok, actually I like the weight and compactness of the smiths.  My only other .22 is a S&W kit gun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#12]
i have a Mark II & Mark I, they are fun, but they don't interchange mags, so be carefull when you buy mags.  I just learned that lesson.     I just bought a new upper for my MkI from www.tacticalsol.com
Its makes my old Mark I cool again.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a stainless MKII and a blue MKII.  Both are great .22lr pistols.  

If you get one, you won't be sorry.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top