Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2017 8:39:41 PM EDT
Just got a Ruger Mark ll. It is like new. Took it to the range and had several stove pipes. Was shooting federal target ammo. I don't know if it just needs broken in , different ammo or different springs. The two Brownings I have shoot the federal fine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure to lube the bolt and try a different ammo.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The ammo is likely just under the power threshold to reliably operate the gun.

You are likely seeing the results of not quite hitting the ejector hard enough to get out before being trapped.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Another thing you can do is oiling the rounds in the magazine.  Learned that at the local Bullseye matches.  Really helps with extraction for under powered rounds
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Try CCI mini-mag.  Do not oil cartridges.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The ammunition is too weak to cycle your particular pistol.

Maybe after a break in period it will operate reliably with it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor.

Fixed all my stovepipes/FTE's on my MkII's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a near perfect Mark II myself. It appears to have less than 100 rounds shot thru it since it was born in 1990... And I have the same exact Federal "Target" ammo as the OP. I'm taking it to the club Saturday and will update here how it shoots this ammo. I have CCI Mini-Mags and some other full powered ammo to break it in. The Federal Target is rated at 1200 fps so I figured it was full power and good to go for breaking in this pistol but haven't had a rim-fire pistol in years. I'm glad I ran across on this thread. I'll be sure to take 3-4 different types of ammo for break in now...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I have found 200-300 mini mags are the easiest quickest way to break in Mk's.  After that, mine gave eaten almost anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top