Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2013 10:35:16 PM EDT
Just bought a SR22 cleaned it took it the range for the first outing and after about 30 rounds one round did not extract causing the next round the slide was trying to feed to get bent.  How concerned should I be about this?   I did inspect the gun and seeing no damage fired a few more rounds with no further problem but am thinking a bent round is not a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Although a bent .22LR round is a wasted shell, it's highly unlikely that it could detonate. If caught in just the worst possible  positon it could possibly lead to an out of battery detonation, which could be dangerous. The likelyhood of this happening is very low, but nothing is completely impossible concerning mechanics.

What kind of ammo were you shooting? How many rounds through the pistol, thus far? How many rounds had it been since the chamber had last been cleaned (even if just pulling a bore snake or brush through it)? Could the round that stuck been dirty? How many rounds since that incident have run without a repeat? My first action would be to figure out if the cartidge stuck in the chamber, or if the extractor didn't grab the case rim properly. If the latter, disassembly and a good cleaning may resolve the issue.

If it makes you feel any better, both of my SR22 pistols have run over 2k rds without incident. The only issue I've ever had was failure to fire, which was a bad cartridge. It wouldn't go off in another pistol or in the rifle I had with me that day, either. SR22's in general, have an outstanding record, IMO, especially for a brand new design that's only been out on the market for 2.5 yrs. There was an issue with the takedown levers on a few pistols coming apart very early on, but Ruger caught and fixed that pretty quickly.

My suggestion? Keep running the pistol for at least a couple of hundred rds to get it broken in, keep it clean and lightly oiled, and see if the problem reoccurs. If it is more than a once in a blue moon occurance, I'd call Ruger and see what they say. Their customer service has a great rep, and any problem I ever had with one of their products was quickly resolved.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Most semi .22's are ammo sensentive. Federal  is probably the worst as they don't have much rim to their cases. I used to swear by the old copper colored bullet Remington. Lately I'm hearing CCI is the hot ticket for .22 ammo. Buy a few differant types and see what the gun likes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Also lube. I love Rem oil for .22's It's thin and even cleans. Buy the aerosol and you can just hose the gun out, let sit like 15 mins, wipe out, and your clean, then reoil for lube.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the response guys.  The ammo I was using was CCI stingers.  It just seems the extractor did not grab the case.  I didn't get to inspect the case because I slightly tilted the gun and the case slid right out and disappeared amongst all the other casings on the floor(was at a fifteen lane indoor range).  It happened after about 40 rounds of a first run through.  Put another 10 through it after the malfunction with no further incident and decided to just wait to try more after I could inspect it further.  I'll be taking it back to the range in a week or 2.  I  gave it a real thorough cleaning the other night so I'll probably run it as a single shot for the first dozen or so rounds to make sure all seems good and then continue on and consider it a freak occurrence.

I will say the SR22 is very easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Put about 100 rounds through it this weekend with no hiccups.  For now I'll just write it off as a random mishap.  Just have been amazed how easy this gun shoots.  I bought it to train my wife in pistols.  I don't think I could have made a better choice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#5]
CCI is supposed to be a good name but I keep reading bad things about their .22LR.

I have almost exclusively settled on Dynapoints and they work great in:
SR-22
10/22
Mark III 22/45
Savage 64
Savage Mark 2

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#6]
My SR22 seems to run fine on Remington Golden Bullets and Federal standard. Winchester bulk packs give either my SR22 or my 10/22 (can't remember which) a little bit of problem. But my SR22 most definitely hates Federal Automatch. It frequently fails to extract the round from the chamber or and sometimes fails to strip one from the mag period. As soon as I shoot my last 325ct box of it, I'm done with it forever. It's not just my SR-22 either. My buddy's hates it as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top