Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2011 7:02:27 PM EDT
Thinking about getting an LC9 and read about the brass shaving problem clogging the firing pin channel.

Did a bit of Google'ing and found this:
Ruger link

ok, so skip to page #2 of the post in the link real quick.  Original poster is a jerk and just seems to be baiting everyone along.

The thinking is that the firing pin hole was not relieved (chamfered) on some of the slides.  Especially earlier serial numbers.  I was thinking the same thing from reading posts here and the simple fix is to relieve the pin hole a very small bit to get rid of the sharp 90 deg edge with a drill bit or Dremel stone.  (A VERY SMALL AMOUNT.  Just trying to round the corner....)

Ruger does seem to be doing the same thing on guns returned to them and on new production.

Just leaving this here as a FYI and for discussion.  Use it or return to Ruger at your discretion!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an earlier serial number LC9 (320-14xxx) and the firing pin hole does have a very slight chamfer to it, although I need a magnifying glass to really see it.  With just over 500 rds thru the pistol, all flawless, I have not experienced even a hint of primer material in the hole or channel.  Most ammo has been WWB, some Federal Champion, and about 50 rds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr (non +P).

I would be very wary of taking a dremel to the slide of my gun, the better option is to send it back to Ruger IF you experience the primer clogging issue.  I absolutely love this gun BTW and it has become my primary CCW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top