Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2011 6:19:01 AM EDT
Gents,

Are there any aftermarket sight available yet for the LC9?   I took my new LC9 and 2 new extra mags to the range for a trial run and I couldnt hit a broad side of a barn with it.  Im not sure what was going on there I think it was the sites or maybe the long trigger pull.

Do any of you fellas have one and can tell me if the accuracy is attributed to the trigger, sights or just me not being used to the gun?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
>>if the accuracy is attributed to the trigger, sights or just me not being used to the gun<<

Probably a combination of the three.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Cripes .. looks like another trip to the range for me .. this thing is not a real "shooter" if ya know what i mean.

I dig my 1911 a whole lot more.  But when your dressed up with a dress shirt, slacks and no jacket for dinner with the wife; it fits the bill a little better.  

Thanks for the reply,
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no trouble with mine. You have to adjust your stance and hand placement when shooting it compared to the 1911. I brought my new lc9 out with my new springer range officer saturday. the range officer was great and the first couple magazines on the ruger was all over the place. once adjusting my hand placement and not having a choke hold on the damn thing i kinda relaxed my stance on it and it was shooting pretty damn good! At 7 yrds i hit all  my shots in the red. i found what works better for me is to come back in one clean movement on the trigger and not to come back real slow and "feel" for the break. just come back on the trigger in one clean movement. see if that helps. i also tried everything imaginable to jam this thing. it couldnt! 200 rounds and not one issue no matter how i shot it. i feel pretty safe with it already. if its an early model production lc9, they were known to shoot to the right and low. i would try it one more time and maybe let someone else shoot it as a second chance. if not, ruger will take care of you no problems. report back please.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the insight;  Ill try this weekend .

I was at an out door range last weekend.  

I usually shoot at a different range that would allow me to start close and increase distance with the automated target runner,  but all i had last weekend was a standard 10 yrad shooting line.  And I was all over the place.  

Ill report back in this thread when I get back from the range this Sunday Going fishing with the Wife on Saturday so. it has to be Sunday ...
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I see this type of problem all the time at our indoor range.  When a customer complains that their handgun is "off", I usually go to the firing point, make sure it is unloaded, hold it up to my ear like it is a telephone (aware of muzzle safety) and after a few seconds, tell the customer that the "pistol says it's YOU, not ME".

Sort of the "Gun Whisperer"!  Then I usually take one round, load it up, ask them where they want me to put it and "bang", show them it is NOT their gun.

The BIGGEST problem is that most shooters, including "experienced" (but infrequent) shooters, treat their handgun like a lemon, squeezing the whole grip rather than just the trigger.

Dry firing at a mirror is one of the best things one can do to develop trigger skills.  On many handguns, you may want to use dummy/practice rounds, but on Glocks and some other brands, dry firing is OK.  Yes, it is a pain to cycle the action each time to reset the action on Glocks and some other similar action pistols.  But, consider it training for clearing a jam or other cycling malfunction.  

One can NOT get too much practice!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Gents,

Are there any aftermarket sight available yet for the LC9? I took my new LC9 and 2 new extra mags to the range for a trial run and I couldnt hit a broad side of a barn with it. Im not sure what was going on there I think it was the sites or maybe the long trigger pull.

Do any of you fellas have one and can tell me if the accuracy is attributed to the trigger, sights or just me not being used to the gun?

Thanks.

Just have to get use to the trigger and try not to anticipate the recoil.

practice practice practice

I was a lousy shot with my LCP, but after some training I have tightened up my groups.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I see this type of problem all the time at our indoor range.  When a customer complains that their handgun is "off", I usually go to the firing point, make sure it is unloaded, hold it up to my ear like it is a telephone (aware of muzzle safety) and after a few seconds, tell the customer that the "pistol says it's YOU, not ME".

Sort of the "Gun Whisperer"!  Then I usually take one round, load it up, ask them where they want me to put it and "bang", show them it is NOT their gun.

The BIGGEST problem is that most shooters, including "experienced" (but infrequent) shooters, treat their handgun like a lemon, squeezing the whole grip rather than just the trigger.

Dry firing at a mirror is one of the best things one can do to develop trigger skills.  On many handguns, you may want to use dummy/practice rounds, but on Glocks and some other brands, dry firing is OK.  Yes, it is a pain to cycle the action each time to reset the action on Glocks and some other similar action pistols.  But, consider it training for clearing a jam or other cycling malfunction.  

One can NOT get too much practice!

Im not a bad a shooter its just the LC9...  
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]
So after the range trip i put another 200 rnds through it.  found out that the gun is ok; its super reliable,

I hate the 2 mile long trigger pull; it causes me to pull all over the place.  I did slow down and practiceing with the long trigger pull is the key.

after a while i shot my 1911 with tight 3 inch groups at 15 yards to make myself feel better ..

my glocks and 1911 are alot easier to shoot accurately but then again its a give and take thing ,,,,the LC9 will be alot easier to hide in a business casual clothes. anyway thanks for the insight fellas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top