Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2009 5:58:04 PM EDT
This won't be as elaborate as I want-the dog is bothering me, wants to lie in bed next to me and watch a DVD...but...apparently some Kimber parts are MIM-metal injection molded (?) and I have read more than once that swapping them out for superior parts can enhance reliabilty, etc. Since a 1911is SO easy to work on, perhaps even I could do it. Any suggestions as to common swap parts, and who makes quality parts-McKormick, etc.  

The dog just stuck his nose under my hand again and stalked out of the room in disgust, so I had better get on the TV....TYIA...here he comes again....:-)
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I replaced all the MIM parts on one of my TLE II's. I went with Ed Brown hardcore parts, and the EGW ignition kit. No problems. That said, my other TLE II is bone stock, and no failures what so ever from it either.

My sugguestion is shot the piss out of it and see how it does... then go from there.

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This won't be as elaborate as I want-the dog is bothering me, wants to lie in bed next to me and watch a DVD...but...apparently some Kimber parts are MIM-metal injection molded (?) and I have read more than once that swapping them out for superior parts can enhance reliabilty, etc. Since a 1911is SO easy to work on, perhaps even I could do it. Any suggestions as to common swap parts, and who makes quality parts-McKormick, etc.  

The dog just stuck his nose under my hand again and stalked out of the room in disgust, so I had better get on the TV....TYIA...here he comes again....:-)

Is the gun reliable?  Does the mag drop, slide release lock the slide back when the mag is empty, grip and thumb safety work, trigger release the hammer to strike the firing pin and it breaks the primer?  Does it feed, fire and eject every time?  If so, how can swapping out parts increase reliability?  Swapping out parts on a gun that doesn't fail to do everything it's supposed to do is asking for failures.  Tuning a reliable gun is another topic.

There's nothing wrong with MIM parts...only poorly executed MIM parts.  If you ate a hamburger and it tasted bad and you later got sick, does that mean all hamburgers taste bad and make you sick?  And you swear off them forever?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 5:22:32 AM EDT
[#3]
this is on my list.  I'm new to the 1911.  My Kimber is my first

230053 Ed Brown 1-Piece Recoil Spring Guide Rod 1911 Government Blue
Comments: 5/19/2009 Available $15.79 $15.79

371361 Ed Brown Match Grade Sear 1911
Comments: 5/19/2009 Available $20.49 $20.49

540296 Ed Brown Recoil Spring Plug 1911 Government Blue
Comments: 5/19/2009 Available $8.39 $8.39

598774 Ed Brown Hardcore Firing Pin Stop 1911 45 ACP Series 80 Blue
Comments: 5/19/2009 Available $16.79 $16.79

916910 Ed Brown Perfection Disconnector 1911
Comments: 5/19/2009 Available $20.99
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Haven't changed a thing in my Custom II since I bought it except for a recoil spring. No issues.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a CDP-PRO in March of 2001. I have been meaning to replace all my MIM parts ever since. Thousands of reliable rounds later I still have not done it. But darn it I will and I am going to replace that darn recoil spring one of these days too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a CDP-PRO in March of 2001. I have been meaning to replace all my MIM parts ever since. Thousands of reliable rounds later I still have not done it. But darn it I will and I am going to replace that darn recoil spring one of these days too.

I have the Gold Combat and I have the same thought of replacing the MIM parts but since it'e a dream gun/shooter as it is I can't come around to swap out the parts. I went to the indoor range today and shot 1 1/2 inch groups @ 15 feet off hand consistantly using Rem 230gr FMJ. (I had a good shooting day).

Yesterday I was shooting 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 groups at the same distant using Rem. 230gr FMJ. Last week I shot 40 rounds of Hornady .45 ACP, 185 Gr, JHP/XTP and shot 1 1/2 inch groups @ 25 feet and 3" groups using the Rem. 230gr FMJ. Today was a Kimber day at the range there were 10 ports and 8 shooter had a Kimber so we swap guns to try out each others and what an experience.

They all shot very well and not one had any issues including mine.  I shot a Ultra Carry II/ Night Sights (LG), Pro TLE/RL II, Compact Stainless II , Stainless Raptor II, and lastly a Gold Combat like mine but without rails.I wanted to see if his GC shot like mine. It did...so the moral of this reply is this, if it's shoot well with accuratcy leave it alone until a parts needs replacing....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top