Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2009 5:58:34 PM EDT
Thinking strongly of buying the 22 conversion kit for my Match II Kimber.

I did a search and came up with one thread that boiled down to "just use mini mags".

Before I buy this 300 dollar slide, are these any good? I have a TON of Federal Bulk Packs and would really like to run it through the conversion kit.

I really hope the comments are in the favor of the kit because I REALLY want one.

I heard that some folks use Ceiner mags in the Kimber kit for better reliability.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had the Kimber .22 conversion for a while now.  Did much of the same research you did.  Would have liked the AA target version, simply for the lock back feature on the last shot.  Other than that I have no qualms about the Kimber kit.

When I first the Kimber kit, I ran CCI Mini Mags thru it for the first 500-1000 rnds.  Since then I've been running Federal 550 bulk thru it without any issues.  Now if I could find an inexpensive 1911 (Kimber, SA, Rock, CD) I'd put the .22 kit on it permanently as it's a blast to shoot - and cheaper than .45s.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I did just that!!

I traded for a Rock Island Armory 1911 and then purchased Tactical Solutions .22lr Upper for it. It is now a dedicated .22 1911. I also use the cheep frame to do my first mods to a 1911! Trigger, grip safety and so on. It is a frickin LASER!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
They are great.
I dont like the target sights. I would change them out to 3 dot if it were me.

Federal bulk pack works but has to have one coil trimmed off the spring due to low recoil short stroking it.
After that was fine. Has to be run with the rails wet. You can't limp wrist it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Gold Combat RLII, Cabela's just emailed me that it was in for pick-up. I have 2 weeks to pickup or they will send it back to the warehouse for credit on my Ccard. I will keep it in the store and I hope I get more reviews/comments on it. Or should I just pick it up and see for myself if it was a wise choice.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
My boss has one and is pretty disappointed.   He has a lot of match ammo left over from his silhouette days, and none of it works well in the Kimber conversion.

I'd go with either a Cenier or Marvel conversion instead.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought mine yesterday and it runs really well.  Only 1 malfunction which was a stovepipe on the last rounds of the very first mag I ran through it.  That was with Aguila SuperExtra high-velocity copper plated ammo.  After running 250rds of Aguila through it I decided to try some Remington Thunderbolt I had in a brick.  It fed all of that as well without a hiccup.  The magazine did have a good deal of overmolding on the seams, but 5 minutes with a knife clean them right up.

I've read some issues with thumb safeties not clicking into the slide notch, but mine fit perfectly on my Kimber Tactical Custom II.  I cleaned the kit, installed it and lubed it very sparingly to see how it ran being quite dry.  Only 1 issue and that was it.  I did not lube it for the rest of the 300+ rounds and it ran without failure.  From what I've read, but have not experienced myself, is that high-velocity ammo must be used in order to fully cycle the slide.  Match ammo or target ammo will not work well because of that.

It shoots quite well, and has nearly zero recoil with a firm grip.  I did not try limp-wristing it but let my mother shoot it and all 10 went without a hiccup.  It shoots so nice it's easily to run through the mag which makes my groups suffer a bit.  

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Does this one not have a bolt hold open?  I'm looking right now on GB and might end up going with an AA kit if this is the case.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Correct, the Kimber kit does NOT hold the slide open after the last round.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The ceiner has a slide release slot, but it doesn't automatically engage.  I bought one because it was in stock and the Kimber wasn't.  I couldn't be happier.  The adjustable sights are great, the 15 round mag is metal, it feeds junky .22 ammo, and it still prints them on top of each other at 15 yards.  I've never used the 1911 AA kit, but I had their Glock kit and it was a first rate training tool for young officers.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess I am the only one to have a problem. Mine wouldnt feed properly for a full magazine worth a shit, with any ammo. They sent me a new magazine, but no luck. Sold it in disgust. BTW, I am no Kimber hater. I absolutely LOVE my Gold Combat.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had a Kimber conversion kit for years and love it.  I did have one problem with it that I figured out pretty quickly though.  For some reason the slide would not cycle smoothly with or without rounds loaded in the mag, but it would cycle just fine without the mag in the magwell.  The problem that I found was that the top lips of the mag was dragging on the bottom of the slide which prevented the smooth operation.  I shaved off a little bit of the mag lips, and now they work prefectly.  I also made one improvement to the adjustable sights.  I took them off and replaced them with a set of Dawson Precision Fiber Optic adjustable sights.

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/ajanifer/KimberRimfireTarget01.jpg
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
My boss has one and hates it.  Won't feed worth a damn with match grade ammo, only works with high or hyper velocity ammo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Sig P-220 early frame.  Just bought and used my .22 conversion slide.  Best $300 I spent in a while.  I used 2 types of ammo. both shot without any issues.  Used the mag from the kit.
The feel of the .22 was great.  I swaped the slides 3 times to see if I could sense a major change in the weight distribution felt good eather .22 or.45.  Oh, I am saving a load of money on ammo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#14]
dude its sweet definitely get it
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a Sig P-220 early frame.  Just bought and used my .22 conversion slide.  Best $300 I spent in a while.  I used 2 types of ammo. both shot without any issues.  Used the mag from the kit.
The feel of the .22 was great.  I swaped the slides 3 times to see if I could sense a major change in the weight distribution felt good eather .22 or.45.  Oh, I am saving a load of money on ammo.

welcome dude!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top