Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2009 9:40:16 PM EDT
I am not happy with Kimber. I brought an Aegis and sold my ruger p345. I REGRET IT. Went to the gun range with all my friend and was proudly showing off a "kimber" against a bunch of simple and older beat down gun. Out of all the firearms that day mine was the ONLY ONE that Jammed, FTF, FTE.. Just fail to impress me. I blew 70 dollars on ammo that day and only got to enjoy 10% of it. The other 90% of the ammo was a manual load to fire or a jam. I did not use cheap ammo. I brought winchesters brand new nonreloads. A real waste of 1200 dollars. I brought it on my Birthday in December. Sent it back in December. Its now ALMOST March and after 6 phone calls finally got a call back just to find out they have not even touch my gun yet. To me that tells me they have a lot of shitty pos guns coming back in for service. I was also told straight up it might be an another month before I get my gun back that I have only seen for an hours worth in the last almost 2.5-3 months?

I miss having a gun that fired every time when I want it. I brought my kimber with the intent to conceal carry and defense. I as of now have no trust in it. It makes me mad. I have brought cheapo 90 dollar .22 riffles with better luck.

I am so jealous of you guys with a kimber and no problem. This is the only gun I have ever owned that I straight up do not trust if my life depends on it.

A pretty paperweight at Kimber I bet.

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe it's just the camera angle, but I think you might be using the wrong kind of ammo.

eta - if it makes you feel any better, I had to replace the guts (i.e. MIM parts) on my Kimber ProCDP before I felt that I trusted it enough to carry it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow man,sorry to hear about it. To tell you the truth,I don't trust pistols that don't have a bushing. The smallest I'll go is a Commander-type pistol. Hope you get everything figured out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Trade her off for a full size model or a commander sized Kimber.
My Pro feeds and works 100% of the time.

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Contact Kimber and go through their hassles. Pay for shipping back to Kimber and hope they fix it. If not fixed, repeat. If not fixed again, repeat. Then sell the Kimber for a loss or try to get your Kimber to work for at least one round and place barrel against your temple.( I think you get the idea)
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:31:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Did u let anyone else shoot it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did u let anyone else shoot it?

Yes. I even let the Veterans and the gun smith have a shot at it. I am most likely selling the gun once I get it back and going back to Rugers or Springfields. I did not limp wrist.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Friends don't let friends buy Kimbers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#8]
A custom 1911 gunsmith told me never get a 1911 below a Commander size & only in steel or stainless.
I have a couple Kimber Custom II , no problem but haven't shot them much.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I was suprise to get a phone call an hour ago. My gun came home out of no where. Looks like nothing was change other then a few scratches, VERY dirty and oily, About to clean it and take it out tomorrow to see if its fix or just a hoax.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was suprise to get a phone call an hour ago. My gun came home out of no where. Looks like nothing was change other then a few scratches, VERY dirty and oily, About to clean it and take it out tomorrow to see if its fix or just a hoax.

Good luck.  My Pro CDP II had a handful of FTRBs in the first 150 rounds, but since then has fired 600+ with no problems.  I feel for ya, paying that much for a gun that doesn't run is VERY frustrating.  As far as your gun being dirty, I think they do that as proof to you that they actually did test fire it before they sent it back.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Meh...$70 worth of ammo isn't even through the break in period yet. It says right in the manual that it's going to be tight and not function as it will until you've let the slide & Frame mate by running ~500 rds through it. (OK so I paraphrased a bit. I don't have the manual with me) For what it's worth, I put the first 3 boxes through my Kimber the other day, not a single hickup.
*Though I did rack the gun probably a thousand times & dry fired, worked the safty, & slide release at least half that; and then cleaned & lubed it a 2nd time prior to  taking it to the range. Just to get a head start on the break in*
The payoff came when I handed the gun to my buddy who constantly tells me about his Glock that he's had forever and Qualifying with it at the range for executive protection etc...ate his words...handed me back my Kimber & said..(drum roll please) "That thing is smoooooth I hate my Glock now"

Sucks you had a bad experience out of the box, but I think the majority has to do with perceptions going into it. If you were in the know you might have gone to the range before taking the buddies, and broke it in, or did some work prior anyway. Especially since it's a compact model, they're notorious for requiring the full break-in before becoming fully reliable. Plus these guys need to run fairly wet during this period.

$.02
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]
When I first bought My Tac pro I couldnt get throguh a mag with out some issue. So I followed the advice here. I cleaned it alot. shot it alot and after about 400 rounds put a new 22lb wolfe spring in it and wham! Not a freakinen hiccup. That thing runs like a swiss watch now. I wa all gonna sell it but I put 400 rounds through it today only one failure doe to a bad reload . the case had a bulge in it but other than that it ate it alup. 100 rounds of 230 lrn. 100 185 jhps and 200 230fmjs. It ate the 185s like a hungry dog. it shot em dead accurate too. hell I chroned those at 1100 fps too. Think I found my new round.So the moral is dont give up on it. shoot it till your so pissed off about you cant sleep then change the recoil spring, clean the piss out of , oil it up, and go shoot it. you'll see. I believe what I was told now!! Now I want another one
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well let us know how it runs now.  I hope they solved whatever the problem was for ya.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]
clean,  and polish feedramp, tune and adjust the extractor tension, etc..

20mins work, and it would probably run fine.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 3 Kimbers (stainless target, tactical ultra and ecplipse ultra) and they all had a tendoncy to jam during the break in period.  (500rds)  Ater that, the jammed stopped all but the eclipse.  I sent the eclipse back to Kimber and it back within a month and a half.  Kimber replaced the extractor and did some fine tuning.  They are all rock solid.  I'd recommend putting alot of different brand rounds though your gun before you scrap it.  My stainless target II has about 5000 rnd through it and it has not jammed since the break in period.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#16]
the Aegis a 9mm? I thought the more you deveate from the original design the more of a chance for failures you have? I have a pro in .45, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I really hate to hear stories like this.  I am sorry you got a bum pistol.  Please let us know if your problem was solved.  I own a Kimber Desert Warrior and it continues to shoot like a dream.  There is the occasional stove pipe and failure to load.  But those are few and far between.  I would reconsider swearing off Kimber.  Don't let one bad egg and a few stories on the internet turn you off to a great firearms company.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I believe the manual clearly states "350-500 rounds may be needed to break the pistol in."

Kimber makes tight pistols.  Sure enough, my TLE II had a few hiccups (like 5) in the first 350 rounds. After that, it has been a dream, and eats everything I feed it.....JHP, cheap monarch, blazer, reloads...everything.

It is so accurate, it boggles the mind. Or maybe thats just me...lol. I won't hesitate to buy another Kimber.

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Update?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#20]
My desert warrior jammed a lot too at first but after a few hundred rounds, the feed ramp smoothed out and shoots like a dream. Its the most accurate gun I own.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought my Kimber 10 years ago, stainless pro carry .  never had any problems unless i failed to keep it clean and oiled wet.  I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had any fun with it.  I have enjoyed mine and have carried it regular for over a year,  have at least 2000 rounds through it, maybe more.   break it in and report back before you dump it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a TLE II and a Gold Combat RLII.  The TLE had stove pipes during the break in, not sure how many.  After it broke in it ran like a champ and the 1911 is my favorite pistol now.  Got the bug again about 2 years ago ordered the gold combat.  It was really tight.  In fact more tight than my TLE.  Had problems with it too.  Slide would just hang up while shooting it.  So I called Kimber talked to the guy in their shop and he said to just lube it up.  Keep it lubed and see if it keeps going.  He even suggested what oil to use.  Followed his instructions and it chews up my ammo now and blows the center out of the target.  I love my Kimbers and I stand behind them 100%.  I had a friend tell me today that he thought his Dad's Taurus 1911 would shoot as good as my Kimbers I told him I doubt that.  They are crazy accurate.  Well worth the money in my opinion.  I hope that your problems work out and you change your mind about Kimber.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Meh...$70 worth of ammo isn't even through the break in period yet. It says right in the manual that it's going to be tight and not function as it will until you've let the slide & Frame mate by running ~500 rds through it. (OK so I paraphrased a bit. I don't have the manual with me) For what it's worth, I put the first 3 boxes through my Kimber the other day, not a single hickup.

$.02

I agree.....several new pistols of mine needed a couple hundred rounds before reliability was there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top