Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2003 2:47:02 PM EDT
For Christmas I got a New Kimber BP Ten II and I've already decided there area few things I'd like to change about it (parts wise).  Keep in mind as you read my questions that I am TOTALLY new to the 1911 style pistol and that my pistol is a High Capacity Polymer...

The gun came with a plastic Grip Safety.  Is there a replacement black or blued metal part that will fit my pistol?  I've looked at some on the 'net, but am not familiar with what the "fits only .025 grip radius" mumbo jumbo is, and really don't want to get the wrong part.

Night Sights...  I think the sights I need are the ML11210 I found in the Kimber Custom Shop.  I've seen the same sights (presumably, same part # at least) at Kieslers for $ 35.00 less.
Is this the right part for my full size 1911?

Mags...  I need the low down.  Will the Para 14.45 Mags work or not?  I've heard yes, I've heard yes with certain modifications, I've heard no.  What's the deal?

Thanks for the help...

- Nw -
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:35:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice pistol.

As far as I know, the various metal grip safties on the market will not retrofit to your gun...although I am sure there is someone who possibly could make it work if you have the bucks. The plastic one works just fine in mine (Ultra) and I have learned to live with it.

You can find sights cheaper at several vendors, but who is gonna put them on for you? Remember that if you do it and break a vial (which holds the tritium) or scratch up the finish, etc. you own the sight install...so you get to buy another or pay for a refinish. The extra few $$$ spent for someone who has the correct tools and fixtures, and knows what they are doing to install sights is well spent.

Para mags will not work in my Ultra, but they appear to be very close to fitting. Since I no longer have anything except one old Para 10 rounder, it is not worth my trouble to try and make it work. Kimber high caps are still out there, you just have to look harder.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I actually like the polymer grip safety on my two BP's.

I have also found that para mags wont work in mine. They are slightly smaller than the Kimber mags, and thus are a bit loose in the mag well. Close, but not quite. They also have a different taper at the top than do the Kimber ones.

As for the night sights, personally, I plan to go with factory Kimbers and let them install them. Me past experience with them was VERY good, and VERY fast. Worth the $100 to me to have them do it, and to know they'll warranty them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top