Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2003 3:25:38 PM EDT
I've been thinking of getting a Kimber Tactical Pro as a new carry gun for about 6 months now. Does anyone have a Tac-pro and what do you think about it?

A guy I know who works in the gun shop that I occasionally shop at said that it isn't really worth the money and that I would be better off with a standard Pro-Carry and building up from there. It looks like I would probably end up spending more in the long run that way, but would I be better off?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I've looked at and played with both. I decided I wanted the Pro over the Tactical. The Tactical really didnt have anything on it that I wold get any real use out of over the Pro.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I got the Tac Pro II. It has all the goodies I felt would be best in a carry gun (for me anyway). I am happy with my choice.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
i think you should save money for rent.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I ended up with a Tactical Custom (5"), and have been very happy with it.  It was a toss up with the pro, but I've heard concerns (whining?) about the spring only taking 800 rds before needing to be replaced on the pro.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Chris,

I got a Tac Pro II in April. It is my favorite gun to shoot. The balance and feel are great, and it shoots exactly POA. No malfunctions, feeds everything. The only problem was the rear night sight went dim, but Kimber sent a call tag for the slide and replaced the sight for no charge.

Comparing prices, realize that with the Tactical models, you get 30lpi checkering on the front strap and the bottom of the trigger guard. Plus the Tactical models include night sights, a 'premium' trigger, and a mag well. If you would want to add these things to a Pro Carry, you would spend nearly the same money.

I have nothing but praise for my Tactical Pro. I use it daily for carry, and I have TLE for IDPA, 3-Gun, etc.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Picked mine up yesterday!!! can' wait to shoot her at the range tomorrow!! If everything goes right she will become my everyday carry gun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
They are sweet looking weapons arent they.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]
NICE GUN MAN.  HOW MUCH U SHED FOR IT?

I PUT A CUSTOM 2 ON LAYAWAY.  I ALSO PUT A MAYTAG ON LAYAWAY 2.  WHICH ONE U GUYS THINK I SHOULD PAY OFF FIRST.  IT IS A TOUGH DECISION.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Well after 2 trips to the range! (loved it so much tuesday i had to go back today!)

I absolutely love this gun!! 250 rnds launched down range without a single hiccup! (not that i expected one) Shot placement dead on point of aim. She is definetly my new every day carry weapon! Only a small issue for me though, the trigger has a little bit of free travel. Is there anyway to tighten that up? Its not very much but i'd like it to be tight from the start.

ummm Asianthug? I think u should get the Maytag! Less likely to hurt yourself or someone else with it! (may cause a hernia while moving though?)
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#10]
What did you guys pay for your Tac Pro anyway? A dealer near me has them for $719.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:56:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What did you guys pay for your Tac Pro anyway? A dealer near me has them for $719.

That's a bargain. Mine was $859.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe that is close to dealer cost. Mine was $829.00. Jump all over it at that price!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I picked mine up on Christmas Eve, taking it to the range Saturday morning - can't wait!!!
It was $825.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got an Ultra Tac II - really and all, but.....
the grip safety plunger sticks up enough that I could't remove the slide at first - had to whack it real good w/ palm of my hand (and no I was not depressing grip safety...:O ).  Now its wearing a small groove in bottom of slide from disassembly/reassembly.  
Is this normal ???  
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just got an Ultra Tac II - really and all, but.....
the grip safety plunger sticks up enough that I could't remove the slide at first - had to whack it real good w/ palm of my hand (and no I was not depressing grip safety...:O ).  Now its wearing a small groove in bottom of slide from disassembly/reassembly.  
Is this normal ???  

That doesn't sound normal to me and mine doesn't do that.
I'd call Kimber!

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Package deals are usually more cost effective in that you get more for your money. It would cost you a bunch to add most options at a later date. I traded for a tactical pro carry last week and like all the extra features except one, that is the checkering (grooves) under the trigger guard, they should be on the front portion. Don't know what the folks at Kimber are thinking on that item.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I traded for a tactical pro carry last week and like all the extra features except one, that is the checkering (grooves) under the trigger guard, they should be on the front portion. Don't know what the folks at Kimber are thinking on that item.

I was wondering that myself.
What grip you would use to utilize the checkering on the bottom of the trigger guard?

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Actually, its used if you use a weaver stance and cup your left hand over the right, so that the index finger of your left hand is right over the middle finger of the right, butting up against the checkering.  I've found that hooking a finger over the front of the trigger guard has not been as stable for me as doing that.  I was shooting my Pro Carry II today, and I was thinking to myself, man, if there were some checkering on the bottom of the guard, it would be great.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm looking at getting either the Pro Carry II (blued) or the Tactical Pro II.  Locally, the PCII is $640 and the TPII is $870.  I wouldn't even have to think twice if the TPII was $719.......  At fist, I thought I could make the PCII into a TPII for less money.  In my intial calculations, I forget to include the cost of ambi safety.  After doing the math, the TPII is the better route, IF it has the features you want, or will eventually want.

Here is what it takes to make the PCII a TPII:
PCII at $640, no night sights.
Trijicons for PCII, $130 (Brownell's.)
Night sight installation, $20 (just a guess.)
Ambi Safefty, $55 (Ed Brown from Brownell's.)
Mag well, $74 (Ed Brown from Brownell's, 30 dpi.)
Shipping from Brownell's, $4
So far, this totals $923, and you still don't have any front strap or trigger guard checkering.  I'm sure that would cost a fortune, mostly due to shipping (UPS 2nd Day Air.)  This also assumes that one has the ability to install the mag well and ambi aafety (I do.)  

That $869 for the TPII starts to sound like a bargain in comparison.  So, I've eliminated teh PCII from contention.  Now if I could only decide between the TPII and the TLE/RL II........
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#20]
If you wanted all of those features, its a hell of a bargain.  I was in the same boat as you right after I bought my Pro Carry II, but after I did the math, it came up to over $1k for all of the stuff on the Tac Pro.  The Aluminum frame is a bitch to checker, mostly because you have to reanodize that part and refinish.  Now that I think about it, I'm going to leave my Pro Carry II as is, since its my carry gun.  No need for the po po to hold a $1000 gun for evidence if the unthinkable happens.  Scollins, you should try to shoot a Pro sized gun before you buy, if you are considering that and a TLE II, since the TLE is full sized steel framed 5" and the Pro sized guns are 4" aluminum frames, which makes the recoil a much different beast.  Its not bad, just different.  Also, if you are getting a Pro sized Kimber, get one with the front strap checkering from the factory.  IMO, this makes the gun so much more pleasant to shoot because of the increased "muzzle-flip control".  

Ghost
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Scollins, you should try to shoot a Pro sized gun before you buy, if you are considering that and a TLE II, since the TLE is full sized steel framed 5" and the Pro sized guns are 4" aluminum frames, which makes the recoil a much different beast.  Its not bad, just different.  Also, if you are getting a Pro sized Kimber, get one with the front strap checkering from the factory.  IMO, this makes the gun so much more pleasant to shoot because of the increased "muzzle-flip control".  

Ghost

Thanks.  I've got a full sized 1911 already (and it's heavy too!)  I'm not terribly concerned with the recoil of an aluminum framed, as my other favorite handgun is a S&W 629 in .44 mag.  And my reloads are near max for it.  

I think I'm going to go with the TLE/RL II.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top