Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 9:38:46 PM EDT
My department is about to allow anything under the sun for carry.....I'm getting it narrowed down, but want to hear what others have to say also......gimme your two cents worth on which you would carry? And if you have carried/used two or more extensively, I'd love to hear from you.....it's going to be a patrol pistol, as well as a dual use in swat.......

Kimber TLE with rail
Glock 21
HK USP45
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
For me it would be the Kimber.  I have smaller hands, and 1911's just feel better, not to mention that they point more naturally.  Your mileage may vary.  You should be able to round some of these up and do some test firing... I would try them all in extremely rapid fire at close distance, say 5 yards.  Whichever you shoot best with, thats your choice.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I carried a 1911 as a duty gun for about 10 years. Been Carrying a 1911 concealed for better than 25....guess I'd vote Kimber.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Before owning one of the TLE's I would say carry the Kimber.  I have had an unexceptable feed problem with my TLE.  I am not ready to say it is the weapon's fault yet.  I have more work to do to isolate the problem.  Other than these problems I love this pistol.  However, I also own a HK USP45 and a Glock 19.  I have never had any reliability problems out of either.  The only problem I had out of the HK is a failure to lock open after the last round.  My advice, don't put your life on a pistol without first extensive testing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The Kimber would be my first choice, with the USP 45 running an extremely close second.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Kimber.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock gets my yes vote for a great LEO pistol.

Kimber if you must have a 1911.

Skip the USP. Tucson PD was the largest single user of USP pistols and is phasing them out for Glocks after problems and poor customer support from HK. If you absolutely must have a USP do not get the variant one with the decock. When I was at Gunsite I never will forget what one of the instructors said to a student with a USP variant 1. "You will hate that pistol by the end of this week of training." And he did! Get the variant 9-10 without the decock.

I went through Gunsite Master 250 under Cooper with a Glock and earned expert. i was the only one in the class to shoot the school drill clean. most students had custom 1911s.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
H&K is renown for being a quirky company, but that doesn't mean they don't make a good gun.
I have all three, but for never ever having a problem with feeding, (even after 500 round and no cleaning)durability, ease of cleaning, and out of the box good accuracy, I lean toward the USP.
The Kimber shoots great and the Glock shoots good, but I just like the H&K more.
Go with whatever fits your hand the best, practice like hell with it, and you should be ok.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Having both a Kimber Gold Combat Series I (45ACP) and a Glock G27 (40S&W), I think that you would be good to go with either the TLE or the G21.

Not sure what your back up is, but the baby Glocks are light weight and powerful.  

If grip size is a factor, the Glock G36 (45ACP) has the "slimline" grip.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Currently own Kimber Gold Match and Glock 22. Bought my first Kimber a year and a half ago, haven't picked up the Glock since. I'm actually selling my Glock tomorrow and picking up a Kimber Tactical Pro for carry. Go with a Kimber.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Glock 21 with a Glock 30 slid into the trauma plate pouch on your vest is a hard combo to match. Your 21 mags will work in the 30.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#11]
1911 with several mags....100yrs stopping some pretty determined bad guys, phased out by some military wondertwits only to be researched for contracts several years later {NOW!}.....sounds like they tried all the others and came back for what I am finding may be the best damn handgun there ever was/is.......

The H&K fullsize is way big, and unless you have big hands, like I, and many others do it will not be a comfortable gun to manipulate and shoot.  It also weighs a a lot in comparison to the 1911.  However, if you shoot one and it points naturally for you and is accurate for you, I would not hesitate to get one -- ever.

I have never liked the Glocks, strictly from an ergonomic and aesthetic standpoint.  I'm sure they shoot fine and are reliable, but they look stupid and feel even more stupid in my hands.  

Using loads that I carry for defense none of my H&K's or 1911's have ever hiccuped.....not once.

It is only when I start feeding it cheap ammo, or reloads or new to the market ammo that just doesn't belong......

My Kimber 1911's, Springfield 1911's, H&K USP, Sig 226, and Beretta 92 have eaten every single round of Federal Hydra, Rem Golden Saber, Win Rangers I've ever fed it.....

My Kimber choked on one Aguila 117gr IQ round...my H&K choked on some aluminum cased Blazer reloads.

That's it.....I must be blessed.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The H&K fullsize is way big, and unless you have big hands, like I, and many others do it will not be a comfortable gun to manipulate and shoot.  It also weighs a a lot in comparison to the 1911.  However, if you shoot one and it points naturally for you and is accurate for you, I would not hesitate to get one -- ever.

Kimbers weigh 38 oz, the RL probably weighs even more.
The HK USP fullsize .45 weighs under 2 lbs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kimbers weigh 38 oz, the RL probably weighs even more.
The HK USP fullsize .45 weighs under 2 lbs.

You're right, it weighs as much as my CDP.  I forgot the TLE uses the steel frame.

The H&K carries a majority of it's weight on the slide and recoil system, so it feels heavier and bulky to most...

I love them both....

1.74 lbs for the USP45.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Glock 21 with a Glock 30 slid into the trauma plate pouch on your vest is a hard combo to match. Your 21 mags will work in the 30.

Somebody doesnt like their uniforms tailored.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top